Recirculation Pump for Watermaker

Old 03-05-16, 09:47 AM
Z
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Recirculation Pump for Watermaker

I've got hydronic heating with a 120 gallon water maker in a 5000 sq. ft. 4.5 bath home. I'm looking for a high quality recirculation pump with timer. Also, I've gotten differences of opinion between the hydronics guys and the plumber regarding cycling times and periods for the recirc pump. I'd appreciate opinions on that too.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-16, 02:00 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grundfos had a good recirc pump for you dhw recirculation, it has a built in timer and aquastat to shut it down once the return gets warm.
Constantly recirculating dhw can be very expensive and wasteful.
Typically people tend to have in on in the am so they have immediate hot water for morning task, and the again when getting home from work.

Old 03-11-16, 04:31 AM
Z
I just bought one. Thanks so much.

Old 03-12-16, 07:00 AM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
There are better ways to control pump for dwh than some arbitrary time period.

I use a PID controller set at a couple of degrees deltaT. Pump runs only when tank temp drops below set point. Response to hot water usage is very quick. In the winter when tankless coil heat is used set it at 1 degree. In the summer when fired by oil burner use 3 degree deltaT to keep stack temp low.

PID's are widely available on web, (ebay etc) with probes starting around $20. Just search for "PID Temperature Controller". Make sure it is both Fahrenheit and Celsius. Some are sold as a package with probe and solid state relay (SSR) typically rated at 20 Amp. PID features, including 2 sets of alarm contacts, make them good for aquastats, boiler over temp, circulator low temp cut offs, etc

Old 03-12-16, 08:46 AM
Z
Thanks. I use a PID on my smoker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: