Water leaking from Hy-Vent off of boiler

Old 02-19-17, 12:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leaking from Hy-Vent off of boiler

I woke up this morning to water on my basement floor. Thought it was just snow melting down the chimney. I cleaned it up and then didn't think twice. Now I came down and there is more water. I've figured out it's coming from the Hy-Vent off of my furnace (but before expansion tank). Name:  JJt6Trq.jpg
Views: 3751
Size:  32.2 KBName:  l4mcScO.jpg
Views: 5810
Size:  26.4 KB

Pressure is just under 15psi. I've tried to tighten the cap on the Hy-Vent and water still comes out from around the cap/seam below the nipple. You can see it in the picture. With the nipple open water is coming from the nipple and from the seam.

I see the part is relatively cheap but I am not handy, and imagine this isn't a simple DIY or is it? Do I have to drain the entire system? Looking to at least stop the trickle/dripping of water for a day or two so I don't have to pay the extra costs to get some out over the holiday weekend.

Old 02-19-17, 12:56 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
t,
Depending what you have for shutoff valves on the system dictates how much water you must drain.
The water has to be below the leak or you will get soaked.

If you can shut valve to the boiler off and if you have shutoffs on your supply and return lines you can just drain a little from the boiler to take the pressure off and you will be fine. Make sure you let the boiler cool a little for safety sake.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 02-19-17, 01:23 PM
T
I see two valves that look like they could be shut off valves. But even then I'm just not that confident I will do it right and then pull the Hy-Vent off and still have pressure & then water spraying.

I think I got the flow of water down enough where we can hold out till tomorrow. I fired the boiler back up and seeing if it maintains that way with the boiler firing and a call for heat.

Thanks for

Old 02-19-17, 01:55 PM
S
If you can post pics of valve locations it would be helpful.

Old 02-19-17, 02:31 PM
T
I see 10 valves (5 outgoing, 5 return) for each zone and these two valves around the pump. Not sure if that would do the trick or not. Name:  IMG_20170219_170704133.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  31.2 KBName:  IMG_20170219_170721445_HDR.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  37.7 KB

Interestingly, I shut all power the system and played with the nipple on the HY-Vent. The water still came out, but eventually I got it to slow to the point it where water was just barely seeping out. I also tried tapping on the side of the Hy-Vent as I read somewhere else that can sometimes get the internal components unstuck. I fired the system back up with multiple zones calling for heat and now there is no water at all coming from it. Is this a fluke?

Old 02-19-17, 03:31 PM
S
The valves are perfect for shutting down the system. If you shut them all off and shut off your main feed for the boiler you can drain very little water and work on your vent without losing system water.

As for the vent, sometimes some debris can get stuck in the float mechanism. Once the pressure is down you can unscrew the top and try cleaning the insides if it leaks again.

If it stopped I would just keep an eye on it. Sounds like you got a gift.

Old 02-19-17, 03:40 PM
T
I will check it again before bed and in the morning to make sure it is still holding up, but I think I may have gotten lucky.

How easy are these Hy-Vents to put in (& take out) Do I need any special equipment or just a wrench/pliers and some plumbers tape? Is it a screw thread?

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 02-19-17, 04:16 PM
S
Very easy. It just screws right in. If you have a wrench like channel locks grab it around the barrel and turn. Sometimes by hand. They don't have to be overly tight. Just so they don't leak. If you use tape don't cover the first threads so when you screw it in it will not break off and get stuck in the float. I f you have pipe dope use that. I f using tape wind it on clockwise, the way you will screw it in so when you turn it in it will not come off. Always wind the tape the way the threads turn.

It's only 1/8" threads on the vent.

Old 02-19-17, 05:27 PM
T
Awesome, thanks for the help it almost seems like I should be able to replace this myself.

One last set of questions, do I need to bring the pressure of the boiler down too or just drain some water out? How will I know in advance that I won't have a geyser when I take off the Hy-Vent?

Thanks again!

Old 02-20-17, 07:39 AM
S
t,
By draining the boiler you are bringing the pressure down. They are one and the same. As far as taking enough water out in your case, the relief valve, although a little higher comes off the same line so you can lift that handle and if nothing comes out then you know you are at least below that point and then you might want to let out a little more.

When you loosen up that vent unwind slowly and see if water drips out before you completely remove. If so drain a little more until water stops and unscrew slowly to make sure but that should do it.

With all of your well placed valves the installer did you a favor and made this a relatively simple procedure that you can definitely do yourself.

Barring no mishaps you will be taking out such a small amount of water you shouldn't even have to bleed the system after. Remember after installing the new vent to leave the cap loose so the vent can do its job.

After vent is installed open feed valve to repressurize before you open the valves to the system and you will probably hear some air come out of the vent. If not don't worry about it. Once pressure has stabilized in a couple of seconds open valves to system and you should be good to go.

Old 02-20-17, 11:53 AM
T
Ok, thanks! Your directions definitely have me feeling confident I can do it myself.

Do you think I should tackle it now or wait to see if the vent acts up again?

Old 02-20-17, 12:19 PM
S
t,
At this point it's up to you. It's a small job that will take you very little time. If you are comfortable with the way it is that's fine but it wouldn't hurt to have one on hand.

It may have just had a little debris stuck in the float which you may have cleared and it will be fine. At any rate the way your boiler is set up you are not looking at an emergency or being down for any length of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: