How do I purge the air with this setup?

Old 09-08-17, 03:00 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How do I purge the air with this setup?

Our house was built in 2002 and we have lived here since 2012. We rented for 4 years before we bought the place. Nobody ever came in to do any maintenance on our water heaters. We just replaced the water heater for our house water and are trying to get the other water heater ready for the heating season. We flushed it today and wanted to purge the air out of the zones, but we can't figure out where to hook up the hose for the air and water to come out. We don't have a boiler, we are just hooked up to another 40 gallon water heater. Our house is small so this works well, but two of the bedrooms don't heat very well. I'm attaching pictures so you can see our setup. If you need more photos or closer photos, please let me know.

Attached Images      
Old 09-08-17, 03:12 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The ("Grey ?) Air Scoop up near the ceiling ought to be removing air automatically as it accumulates . . . . unless the Vent is clogged.

Do you hear bubbles moving within the baseboard indicating the presence of air ?

You can check this by just loosening the cap at the top a little, and if air exits, then it was clogged. When water begins to seep out, the air has been removed.

If that Vent is not the highest point in the house, then there are probably additional vents in the baseboard at the highest point(s).

You won't need a hose for the air . . . . or a small dribbling of water.

Old 09-08-17, 03:18 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fantastic! Thank you! We are learning a lot with this home ownership thing.

Old 09-08-17, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,106 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing you live in a somewhat warmer area if that water heater provided enough heating hot water. When it comes time to change the water heater for heating.... consider putting in a small boiler instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: