New Oil Burner

Old 10-06-17, 06:57 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Oil Burner

I plan on buying a new oil burner online. It will be delivered via lift gate truck and it weighs 700 pounds. My question is, what is the best way to move it where it needs to be? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 10-07-17, 03:25 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Are stairs going to be involved ?

Old 10-07-17, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's more than a new oil burner...... that's a complete boiler. That must be a massive boiler to be 700 pounds. Make sure it will fit thru your door openings and if it's going downstairs you'll need an appliance hand truck and at least one strong helper.

Old 10-07-17, 07:25 PM
M
Sorry about the weight. Its 595 pounds. I have a walk in basement with 3 doors so space is not a problem. ( no stairs) Just worried about how to move it.

Old 10-08-17, 02:29 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Planks and pipe rollers will allow you to move it anywhere.

Old 10-08-17, 11:44 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for pipe rollers. It's amazing what you can move if you know what you're doing. Steve

Old 10-08-17, 07:12 PM
M
Thank you guys. Will look into it.

Old 10-09-17, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Also check around rental and moving places for what the movers here called Big Red. Similar to this.... Hand Trucks R Us - "The Lean Back" - 1200 lb. Capacity Appliance Hand Truck - 560. One guy moved my 450+lb safe with no problem at all. His wasn't as fancy as the one at the link, but it sure handled a heavy load easily.

They built the pyramids with rollers (says one theory) so it would surely work for you, just a bit more work and a 2 person job. Also depends on whether you have lots of pipe and planks around I guess.

Old 10-09-17, 04:19 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Several decades ago I had a large metal-working lathe. The thing probably weighed close to a ton but I was able to move it all over in the shop using just a floor jack, two 2x12 planks and three pipe rollers. The floor jack lifted it just enough to get the planks under the feet and the rollers under the planks. Setting the rollers askew from the planks allows it to turn corners.

About the same time I removed the boiler from my parent's house. I used the same rollers and planks to get it out the door and then a four-fold block and tackle to drag it up the steps. I anchored the B&T to my car bumper. Having a piece of pipe in the upper tapping of the boiler allowed me to slightly tip it in order to get the planks and rollers under the boiler.

Another time I was installing a new water heater into a storage room at my home. The doorway was about a foot higher than the garage floor and my (now former) wife told me I couldn't possibly get the heater inside without help. Using a combination of 2x4 and 4x6 blocks I was able to rock the heater back and forth, adding a block each time until I had "cribbed" it to the level of the shed. Then it was just a matter of "walking" it in. Using the same method I raised it another foot to set on a pedestal in the utility room. Whole operation took maybe 20 minutes.

Just be careful. If it gets away from you do NOT try to stop it from falling but get out of the way. A replacement boiler is far cheaper in the long run than having your foot crushed. Having a helper or two is always good but I've done a lot of heavy moving by myself. Think the job through first and then make small moves at a time.

Old 10-09-17, 07:59 PM
M
Thanks a bunch for all the replies. Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: