Gas-fired water heater tank makes rasp

Old 10-19-17, 10:24 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas-fired water heater tank makes rasp

Hi,
I have a very old (was told it's original 1925) copper water heater, which began making rasp that sounds like a motor rubbing against something. Are there any motors inside water heating tank? Otherwise, I guess it must be caused by sediments?

Old 10-19-17, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 861 Votes on 794 Posts
You did not tell us what brand or model water heater you have so... we don't know what you have.

A traditional/standard water heater has no motor and really no moving parts. There are some parts that move inside the gas valve and there may be metal parts inside your heater that make a scraping sound as it expands and contracts with heat from the burner.

Without knowing what you have I would be cautious about using a water heater to old. Does it have a temperature and pressure safety system? Old water heaters were known to blow houses up when they fail. All newer ones contain devises to prevent them from exploding.

Old 10-19-17, 04:54 PM
L
Hi, Pilot Dane,
It is Trageser Copper Core.

Attached Images   
Old 10-19-17, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Can you add one more picture..... a close up of the ID plate. Thanks.

I was doing some reading up on them. They have a very long life and very few leaks. Most of the stories I read.... the people talked about flushing the tank out every year. Once the sediment hardens it may no longer just flush out. In most water heaters it's best to not try to flush them if it had never been done. In your case you may be able to flush some, maybe enough, sediment out to quiet it down.

Old 10-19-17, 06:31 PM
L
Hi, Pjmax,
The model is CR40B. The engineer who did house inspection for me, told me these copper heaters work forever, which is why this company went out of business.

Attached Images  
Old 10-24-17, 08:07 AM
L
Talking

OK, for those who may happen to have a similar problem. It turned out to be that the rasp was coming not from the water heater but from the pump attached to the pipe. I did not know that there is a separate heating pipe for the basement which uses this pump.

Old 10-24-17, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
A water heater is not usually used for heating and supplying domestic water at the same time. Sounds like some creative homeowner work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: