Pipe Insulation

Old 10-26-17, 07:01 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipe Insulation

Would like to get some more experienced opinions on this. The first one I'm fairly certain is asbestos, and the second one just looks like fiberglass - but what about 3 and 4? 4 is most concerning due to the condition.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-17, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
You can't always tell by looking at it. If that is in a residence.... it needs to be removed. If untouched.... the asbestos is not harmful but when it crumbles and falls apart like in that last picture.... the harmful dust is released.

Although it's recommended to have a licensed remediation do the removal.... it can be done using caution. The insulation needs to be wetted so that no dust escapes. Gloves and masks must be worn. It must be double bagged and marked for proper disposal.

Old 10-27-17, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Asbestos

Are you seriously telling someone who is not certified or licensed to handle a known cancer causing material? Please, PLEASE, have a professional remediation company remove this nasty, DANGEROUS substance, or at minimum have it encapsulated. I realise it can be costly but there is no price to be out on your health!

Old 10-27-17, 07:11 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
1,3 and 4 are asbestos. #2 exposed part is fiberglass but what is under wrap I can't tell. May be asbestos also.

Old 10-27-17, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
Yes.... I did mention using a mediation company but many people attempt this on their own.

Old 11-02-17, 05:13 AM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
#1 may be asbestos but does not have to be; #2is probably asbestos; #3 the uncovered is fiberglass; #4 is asbestos. Myself, I would call a remediation company to remove it to be safe and legal.