How to Install Honeywell Equipment Interface Module to Steam Boiler

Old 11-23-17, 08:14 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Install Honeywell Equipment Interface Module to Steam Boiler

Hello,
I bought a kit with the module, thermostat and red link router and sensor (Honeywell YTHX9421R5101WW/U Prestige IAQ Kit with Redlink technology)
Anyhow, I connected the red link router to the internet no issue. Next, I hooked up the thermostat as instructed (2 wires). Then lastly I went to hook up the EIM - I opened up the junction box and found the thermostat wires which are also hooked up to other wires going to the boiler. (I'm assuming they are connected to the flue, low water cut off, and automatic water feeder) so I spliced new thermostat wires to the two wires and connected them to the EIM. The EIM said "Power ON". Pressed "Connect". Went to thermostat and completed the connection process which was successful. Also the Red Link Router connected and the outdoor sensor connected. I set everything up and it went well it seemed so easy and after I was finished the thermostat indicated that the heat had came on with the "HEAT ON" indicator since it was set to a level way above the indoor level. Except when I went downstairs the boiler didn't turn on and wasn't on, but then I realized that one of the wires on the transformer had come off (this is a black wire that connects the roll out sensors to the low water cut off, probe and the ignition valve. So I was not 100% sure where the wire was supposed to be but I turned off the boiler worried that it may have caused a short if it touched other wires (as I am not sure how all this works.). Anyhow, I connected the wire back but the boiler didn't turn on. I got nervous that I had did something terribly wrong and that now the boiler wasn't going to work, since when I drained some of the water the water didn't refill and there was no light on the low water cut off except when I pressed it a dull orange light. I did not drain a lot however. I re connected the old thermostat, re- connected the black wire again still the same with the low water cut off but the boiler momentarily turned on then off. I went upstairs, re set the thermostat, made the wires tighter and it took a while to boot up and after a while it indicated "Heat On" went downstairs, boiler was on. Drained the entire thing, sure enough it called for water, filled up and worked, but still no green light on the LWCO.

I'm sorry for the long story.....

my question

1. Did I wire the new thermostat EIM correctly since it all was indicating "CONNECTED" and called for heat and all seemed right? Was it that I just didn't give it enough time to kick on?

Any and all suggestions would be great.

I have no other systems being connected, just a low pressure steam boiler with one zone.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-17, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,199 Votes on 1,109 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Connected means connected to the network..... not the boiler.
Your thermostat is telling the EIM to supply heat.

You need to confirm if the boiler needs 24vac sent in to activate the boiler or a contact closure like from a thermostat. Most have an aquastat with TT terminals. That means a short across TT starts the boiler. Your EIM will not supply a short but will put out 24vac which is a problem.

Usually a relay is required between the EIM and a boiler.
How are you powering the EIM ?

Pictures are very helpful.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-23-17, 10:08 PM
K
Sorry don't have any pics,

the boiler is 24V and there is a transformer, the EIM is being powered directly with the thermostat power, and it was showing green light for power.

spliced to the wiring connecting boiler and thermostat to the EIM (2 wires)

Old 11-23-17, 10:12 PM
Group Moderator
Without knowing the steam boiler wiring... I cannot help you.
Is there a make and model number on it ?
Is there a wiring diagram posted on it ?

Old 11-23-17, 10:22 PM
K
its a Pennco 16 Series Steam Boiler
below is a link its like this one, except without the box in the left hand corner. otherwise I'll try to post pics in a couple days.

Old 11-23-17, 10:26 PM
K
Old 11-23-17, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
If the link below includes your boiler..... then the wiring is on page 24 and clearly show TT connections..... not R and W....... for thermostat. That means you must use a relay between the EIM and the boiler.

pennco boilers/SERIES/20IOM.pdf

Old 11-23-17, 10:33 PM
K
basically all the wiring goes into the junction box.
that is where the thermostat wires are connected to the boiler also.

Old 11-23-17, 10:36 PM
K
can you tell me what kind of relay? and where is it connected? this is more complicated than I have done.

Old 11-23-17, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
Sure it's more complicated. An EIM is not usually attached to a steam boiler. Usually there is no need for it.

You need ANY single pole normally open 24vac relay. Some suggestions...
This one is normally open and closed. You can just use the open contacts.
White-Rodgers-24-Volt-Coil-Voltage-SPDT-RBM-Type-Relay-90-370
Supco-General-Purpose-Current-Contacts/dp/B0071OX6Z4/

You need three wires from your boiler to the EIM.
C and R from the transformer and W to the relay.
The other relay coil wire connects to the C point.

I labeled the transformer C and R. It is not labeled and makes absolutely no difference which way you connect the C and R to it as long as one relay wire goes to the same place as the C.

All the R terminals remain bridged at the EIM.

Name:  EIM_B.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  47.1 KB

Old 11-24-17, 08:09 AM
K
hello,

so I think this makes a lot of sense now.

the only wires going to the EIM are actually from the 2 from the Transformer and and one from the relay right?

Also, I see the thermostat wire connected to the relay labeled "C" but where is the other one connected on the diagram it says "no?"

Old 11-24-17, 08:16 AM
K
I asked a stupid question before actually looking. the relay has a "no" prong. SORRY!

Thanks so much for your help!

I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-24-17, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
No problem. If unsure.... always ask.

Just FYI..... NO stands for normally open contact. An NC would be normally closed.

Old 11-25-17, 08:41 AM
K
Hi again,

so I ordered the relay from amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just not sure which terminals to connect each to.

do you know where there is info on this relay as to which terminal is what, they are numbered but being an amateur in this that doesn't really tell me what terminals are the Common ones and so on.

Thermostat Common to Relay Common
Thermostat R to Relay NO

Transformer C to Relay C (where the coil is?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then to the EIM

the R + C from transformer and W from Relay

I guess my question is how do I know what terminals to connect each wire to in the relay?

your diagram is great and makes total sense to me and now I know how to do this which is great, but Im just not sure about the relay part. With my luck, I connect wrong and fry the EIM, Thermostat, and worse, the other stuff on the boiler.

Old 11-25-17, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
When you receive the relay the diagram should be on the relay.... maybe. Otherwise it's on the box.

Terminals 1 and 3 are the coil. No polarity since this is AC.
Terminals 2 and 4 are the normally open contacts.
You won't be using the NC contact 5.

Name:  90-293Q relay diagram.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 12-12-17, 02:50 PM
K
Hello again, so I connected everything, and powered it on, once the thermostat called for heat the relay made a shaking sound and the EIM heat LED turned red and it repeated a couple of times but the boiler didn't turn on. I'm pretty sure I connected everything right to the relay.

the RH, RC terminals were bridged and I connected it next to the these terminals. there is another set of R and C terminals at the top that says to T Stat. Not sure what I did.

Old 12-13-17, 10:11 PM
Group Moderator
You are getting your R and C for the EIM from the boiler.... like in the diagram.... correct ?
Instead of connecting the relay to W..... remove it from W and touch it to R. Does it operate correctly and start the boiler ?

Any pictures you can post of what you are working on are always a big help.
How-to-insert-pictures

Name:  87562d1511503366-how-install-honeywell-equipment-interface-module-steam-boiler-eim_b.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  47.1 KB

Old 12-14-17, 07:14 PM
K
thanks for response,
yes I had it all connected. the transformer did have other wires connected to it already too.

take W from EIM and connect to R on the EIM?

also I had 2 relays and tried both, they did the same thing.

Old 12-14-17, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... that will determine if the relay is ok and wired correctly.
You can just temporarily hold it there.