Hot Water Boiler Malfunction

Old 12-18-17, 05:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have an AWI061 boiler. Three times this winter season it has failed to operate correctly. Each time it was discovered only after the house was cold enough to demand inquiry. Each time it seems to have fired on after repeatedly turning the thermostat up and down multiple times, but this might be just a coincident. This last time, it didn’t fire on as quickly as before so, after wiggling a few external wires (thermostat, etc.) and tapping on things like the aquastat (L8148E), etc., I took the cover off of the aquastat. Oddly enough, I carefully pressed on a few wires to ensure contact, and it fired on...all of which may be a coincident. Anyhow, the boiler is once again operating and heating our home. There is obviously a problem here, so let me tell you some things I do know:
1) Thermostat does spark when mercury hits contacts,
2) Water temperature looks like it's set at about 185, and seems to maintain at about 200,
3) Water pressure is between 12-15,
4) There is a vent damper installed, but no wire harness going to it. It is in the open position,
5) There is a Safgard (170 Series) Low Water Cut-Off unit installed, WHICH ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE ON, OR HUMMING, EVEN WHEN THE FURNACE IS NOT ON,
6) The circulator seems to be running, and was the only thing that was slightly warm this morning after the furnace was off all night,
7) The aquastat might be humming, but may very well sound like it because of the always humming Low Water Cut-Off unit,
8) The pilot is always on.
So, that pretty much sums up what I do know. This is my late mother-in-law’s home which we inherited in January, 2017. To my knowledge, there were no like problems during the final winter months from January thru May (yes, winters last well into May in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula...lol). Having read so much valuable information on this subject from this site, I just joined the DIY Forum in hopes of fixing my boiler problems without having to call in a technician, which is not only an expense I don’t need right now, but also would deprive me from utilizing my own capabilities when properly instructed. My reading thus far has me pretty much convinced that I’ll be needing a multi-meter, which I’m prepared to secure upon hopeful instruction. Thank you!

Old 12-18-17, 08:31 AM
P

I’m sorry...just realized I forgot to mention that this is a Crown boiler I’m referring to. Ty

Old 12-18-17, 10:46 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If you have been reading the heating forums then you know that we always ask for pictures, lots of pictures of the system. Please understand that the pictures MUST be well lit and in focus or they are useless. The pictures also must be from far enough back (or wide angle lens) to allow us to see how the various parts are connected. When close-up pictures are necessary we will ask for them.

Here is a brief explanation of the control of a typical zoned system. The room thermostat initiates a "call for heat" which causes the zone valve to open. The zone valve has a switch (end switch) that closes when the valve is fully open; that sends a signal to the circulator relay which may be incorporated in the aquastat. The circulator relay closes powering the circulator pump and water is now moving through the system. The aquastat monitors the temperature of the boiler water and when it drops to a specific "set point" it initiates the burner operation through a series of safety devices.

Your description reads to me as if either the end switch in the zone valve is only operating intermittently OR the circulator is not always operating when the end switch closes. If this ONLY happens with one specific zone it points more to the zone valve end switch but if it happens randomly with any zone then it is more likely to be the circulator relay.

Next time it happens do not touch any wires or the thermostat but instead using a screwdriver held by the shank tap the handle on the zone valve in several places. Hit it hard enough to jar the internal switch but don't try to actually break it. If this causes the system to start then most likely you have a failing end switch.

Post back with your results.

Old 12-18-17, 02:40 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
P,
The sight below might get you started instead of going through a long explanation.

This is your manual but if you go page 32 you will see your series of operation, for lack of a better word, of how your system works and the voltages to look for.

home appliance manuals online/crown_boiler/awi061.html

Hope this helps a little

Last edited by PJmax; 12-18-17 at 04:45 PM. Reason: repaired link
Old 12-18-17, 05:52 PM
P
Furd: Thank you for your time and much-valued information. I regret that time didn’t allow me to add the valued pics you spoke of...work was calling. I will certainly follow your instructions and get the results back to you. Since this may not happen right away (a good week passed between this and the last malfunction), would you prefer I post some pics in the meantime?

Old 12-18-17, 05:59 PM
P
spott: Thank you for your response and sending me the info needed to secure a manual. Unfortunately, that was one of the things I probably should have said I had...my late, Finnish mother-in law was one for saving manuals, even for things such as a pre 1950 toaster, bless her heart. Again, thank you just the same!

Old 12-18-17, 06:17 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Post when you can.

Yes, your MIL was an angel for saving the manuals. When I sold my previous house I made sure to leave all the manuals I had for everything. I just wish that had been the same course of action followed by the previous owners of my current home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: