Boiler making noise and everything is closed

Old 01-07-18, 05:12 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boiler making noise and everything is closed

Hey guys. Under normal circumstances I would just call in a pro. But I think I need to fix this asap or pipes will freeze...

The boiler is making a fan rattling noise DIRECTLY behind that black plate with 10 large bolt thingy. I turned it off for the time being, but is it safe to open that up and try and clean it out or something?

I included a picture of the boiler. The large black plate with bolts around it can be seen.
(also its about 10f not -10f. Although it might just be - something with wind chill).

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  68.8 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by BoilerNoise; 01-07-18 at 05:48 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 01-07-18, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Were those two lines hot coming out of the boiler ?
What is the pressure and temperature on that gauge ?
When was the last time that was serviced ?

It sounds like the boiler was either boiling or kettling.

Old 01-07-18, 05:46 PM
B
Hello thank you for reply!
The two lines are hot after boiler ran for a while. (we have been keeping heaters on low so boiler is not running much).
I ran it a while and it seems to have made the noise go away.

I included a picture of the pressure gauge.
Last serviced 2014
We are very low on oil (expecting delivery in two days) Could this be the reason for the noise?

I think this is unrelated, but the one of the electrical boxes for one of the three zones is making a loud buzzing noise when on. Im less concerned about that.

Old 01-08-18, 05:11 AM
S
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That cover plate is for a domestic hot water coil. so there should be nothing behind that plate, just an opening to house a coil.

Old 01-08-18, 08:05 AM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
I have the New Yorker and it’s as Steamboy says, that position is where the coil is inserted (I have one). So I’m sure as Steamboy says there should be nothing behind that plate.

Just thought of something. My Aquastat is where your Aquastat is and when it went bad I would hear something that sounded like a woodpecker at times. I think that's what a bad relay can sound like - in other words relay chatter. Could it be that you are hearing chatter from the Aquastat? It's close to that black plate.

Just a thought. See what the more knowledgeable guys say

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-08-18 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added "just a.."
Old 01-08-18, 12:15 PM
B
What ever that was behind it is gone? I kept running it and eventually the noise just went away completely. It almost sounded like something was flying around rattiling inside it. Maybe some deposits or such?
Either way I plan on getting it serviced and cleaned asap. Thank you all for the replies and happy new year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: