Little red rubber in pressure relief valve gone

Old 03-26-18, 02:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Little red rubber in pressure relief valve gone

About a year back I got a new hot water boiler.
I pulled the little lever on the pressure relief valve to release the hot water and I think I wasn't careful enough when releasing the lever because this little red rubber on the pressure relief valve popped out a bit, not the whole thing just one side of it.

I thought I messed up so I called the plumber who installed the boiler and he did something.

At the time I had assumed he replaced the little red rubber or pushed it back in or something but he also seemed to twist the black part that housed the red rubber around to an angle that I cannot see without a camera.

Now today when I pulled the pressure relief valve lever again I decided to check if the red rubber was okay and I realized that it's not there.
Did the plumber not replace the rubber or something? What is this little red rubber and is it important?

I've attached a photo of the valve and have circled the area where the red rubber should be.

Edit:My boiler is a Vulcan 648 series gas water heater.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bluesaber27; 03-26-18 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added boiler name
Old 03-26-18, 04:23 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
B,
Personally have never seen a t&p valve like that before and according to what I read in your warranty you must use Vulcan replacement parts.

Last edited by spott; 03-26-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 04:53 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Personally have never seen a t&p valve like that before
No surprise you didn't recognize it. Notice he called a water heater a "boiler". He is from Australia.

Blues, this is primarily a North American forum.

Old 03-26-18, 08:54 PM
B
Oh sorry, I didn't think about how it might be different over here in Australia. I guess I'll try another forum. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-26-18, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
No need to apologize.... cool to have you here visiting.

Old 03-27-18, 05:19 AM
B
Good catch though, you knew I was Australian just from me calling it a boiler and having a different t&p valve.

Old 03-27-18, 06:01 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
you knew I was Australian just from me calling it a boiler

No, I also ran your IP address but boiler was the tip off. I use to work for a home improvement store and the occasional foreign customer would ask for a boiler. A boiler here os used for steam or hot water heating for the house. Not something you buy at a home improvement store and something never used for heat in my part of the country.

However you may see tankless water heaters in the boiler section but those use the heating boiler to also provide domestic hot water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: