Boiler, tstat, Zone Valve - Wiring

Old 03-29-18, 02:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Boiler, tstat, Zone Valve - Wiring

Hello, I've got what seems like some crazy wiring for my tstats/aquastat, zone valves, and boiler. I'm stumped trying to figure out how, when I my tstats call for heat, that anything is communicated to my boiler. Everything is working fine, but it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out. I'm sure my HVAC guy had a reason for it, but I'd like to understand is all.

My setup:
-Baseboard heating with two zones
-Crown Aruba 3 Boiler (Gas-Fired Natural Draft Hot Water Boiler) (comes stock with a taco circulator and uses an aquastat powered by limit controller L8148E plus an auto damper)
-Squire Indirect Water Heater SIT065 with aquastat and Honeywell ZV R845A
-2 Honeywell tstat RTH6350D (battery, no c-wire, jumper) with 2 Taco ZV 571-2
-120v of power are capped and supplied to the boiler and a 24v transformer that powers the 2 tstats, 3 ZVs, and WH aquastat.

The boiler manual (page 19) shows a zone valves end switch setup where they are connected to the boiler limit control (L8148E). I have 3 zones with the WH, so that might be why it's setup the way it is, as the limit control is only a two zone setup.

In my setup, the 2 tstats, WH aquastat, and 3 ZVs are all capped together with the transformer in one crazy big loop. Iíve looked extensively and at no point, besides the power supply, does the boiler share any wiring with any of the other mentioned equipment.

Iíve read about setups where when a valve opens, a boiler senses the pressure change and fires up its circulator and/or heat, but I did not see anything in the crown manual like that.

Any ideas how the boiler knows when my tstats are calling for heat? Let me know if any more details are needed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-18, 03:44 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
S,
It is a series circuit. Starting with the 24V transformer.

From the xformer to 1 terminal on stat, from other term on stat to term 1 on ZV.

From term 2 on ZV back to xformer. That completes the circuit to open ZV on a call for heat.

Another wire goes from term. 2 & 3 on ZV to TT on 8148 to start boiler and pump on a call for heat until stat is satisfied.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-29-18, 04:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I see what you're saying and agree that's what I should be seeing...wires connected from the ZV to the TT on the boiler limit control, but that's not the case. No wires are going to the boiler except the 120v supply.

Old 03-29-18, 05:35 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
What is connected to TT on 8148.

What is connected to terminals 2 & 3 on ZV.

Pics if possible.

Last edited by spott; 03-29-18 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes..... post pictures.... so we can follow along. How-to-insert-pictures