Received A Boiler Quote - Oversized? Parts & Needs Listed

Old 04-15-18, 09:19 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Received A Boiler Quote - Oversized? Parts & Needs Listed

Hey Everyone,

I live in Maine and have an aging oil burning boiler unit. This provides hot water and baseboard heating. It's roughly 30 years old, burner is 15 years old, and it's starting to become a headache. I have a tenant living in an apartment over my garage, and 2 additional roommates that shares this system, and cannot afford to have it be unreliable because my income is at stake.

I'm assuming the system is just under-sized or its just inefficient and old. Or was never intended for a full house.. Maybe the house was originally built with less demand (the apartment is not original). (1988)

Needs
  • 3 showers, which I wish could be run at the same time for tenant and roommate convenience purposes
  • 3 zones of heating. Main house upper and lower, apartment over garage
  • 2 dishwashers (main house, apartment)
  • 2 laundry systems (main house, apartment)

My house is well insulated, but showers are definitely less hot / the heating is slow when all zones and shower are running at a time.

Current System Undersized?
The current system can really only run 1 thing at a time. Whether that be one shower, the dishwasher, the laundry machine. Somehow we synchronize our schedules and tasks around shower time. If a shower is running and someone runs a hot water faucet, the temperature and hot water pressure drops very noticeably. The small reservoir in the boiler is quickly overwhelmed and depleted.

A bathtub must be filled very slowly (10 minute process) or the water feeding it becomes cold pretty quickly. Can't even do this if another hot water source is activated.

Converting to propane
Keep in mind, this quote includes converting to propane, and everything involved with removing the oil tanks and connecting to the new propane tanks (new propane tanks not included in cost)

New System Quote - Oversized?
I told my maintenance guy that it's finally time for a replacement. I'm looking for a system that could potentially run 3 showers at once + some appliances and heat reliably. Want to know if the listed components are sized right. I know they are more expensive than the hardware some others use. But I'd prefer something well regarded over saving a bit today.

New System Is Moving
The new system is moving to a new location in my basement. It's currently in an area that forces it to power-vent into my backyard patio area, rendering it unusable. We're moving it across to the other side of the basement to vent into a side yard. (roughly a 30 foot change)

New System Parts
  • New Bosch Greenstar 151 floor FS boiler
  • New 60 galllon HTP Super Stor Indirect water heater
  • new 1.25 copper manifold system to include 4 Taco IFC zone pumps with isolation valves, Taco
    SR504 Zone control, Purepro deluxe air separation kit with spirovent, 3 PVC venting out sidewall of
    home, new water feeder pressure regulator setup with backflow preventer, condensate pump and
    neutralizer, new wiring and controls, new mixing valve for domestic water,

Cost / Time
I know this guy is a bit more expensive than others I've dealt with, but in return I've had amazing fast customer service (always here the next day if an issue), and the work he does is perfect. Outstanding reviews everywhere, and I really trust his quality of work. I have a certain amount of loyalty, but I'm also (from online research), feeling like this price is close to 50% higher than what I'm seeing as typical for high-end.
  • To be completed within 2 days
  • $12,900 total cost, including tax

My parents almost choked when I told them the cost. They said replacing a heating system should cost around $5,000... But I'm not just directly swapping for a new boiler. Let me know your thoughts!

Old 04-15-18, 10:06 AM
B
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
You are moving into the right season to be making the right decisions, not under the gun to replace a dead boiler during our negative temperatures.

Installing it in a new location is actually an advantage as it involved less down time for any current functions.

You said oversized but didn't mention the old size. I'm assuming the 151 refers to 151 MBTUs which is big, but we don't know how much area you are heating. Hot water usually has priority so heating waits until hot water demand stops thus the boiler size is unaffected by the indirect.

My trade is actually energy efficiency so the size will be affected by the insulation and air sealing (and other improvements). Those should all be done before you select the size. How large is the home and apartment?

I'll be watching.

Bud

Old 04-15-18, 10:24 AM
B
Edit: Also primarily concerned with the quote for $12,900 - and if based on the overall size of the project that seems reasonable

House: 1,900 square feet
2 stories
~500 square feet is the separate inlaw suite over garage( doesn't share any walls with main house, breezeway connector)
Pretty large windows.

Bosch Greenstar 151 floor FS boiler Ratings:
Input (BTU): 36,000 - 151,600;

Current Peerless Boiler:
80,000 - 130,000 BTU (there are three stickers on the side that are very faint... I guess the BTU output depends on the burner installed?)

"Hot water usually has priority so heating waits until hot water demand stops thus the boiler size is unaffected by the indirect"
So this is where the indirect tank comes into play? So the house will stay warm and heat in the winter during everyone's morning routines, where the shower draws off the indirect tank?

I have not had the efficiency of the home tested by a professional, but it generally feels good and tight (compared to other homes I've owned, I've owned smaller homes that consumed much more fuel). My main concern is with hot water demand. It's hard to have simultaneous hot water usage right now. The heating feels slow if all three zones are warming up the house in the morning in January (like, the baseboards take longer and don't seem to get quite as hot) - I guess particularly if we're also running showers in the AM.

Old 04-15-18, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
I know this guy is a bit more expensive than others I've dealt with, but in return I've had amazing fast customer service (always here the next day if an issue), and the work he does is perfect.
This is key. We all like bargains but service is more important and worth the extra cost.

This is not a simple boiler exchange so push that 5k thought right out of the picture.
Based on the listed equipment and the fast turnaround.... I'd say the price is fair. When a job is fast tracked the price will always be slightly higher to cover expenses not foreseen.

We could discuss this all day but the only way the price could be confirmed is by bringing in another company for a second quote. There are too many variables for an online quote.

Old 04-15-18, 11:26 AM
B
Thanks PJMax - you have helped validate my thought of paying more for quality, and given me perspective on whether this price is "shocking" or fair and within reason.

I'm going to call a couple other companies Monday to see if someone can come by to give me a quote.
I'll post those once I get them!

Old 05-03-18, 11:00 AM
B
I've Received 3 Quotes Now

I've Received 4 Quotes Now... All very close together.
  1. $12,900 (propane conversion) + any cost associated with getting propane setup (tanks, lines)
  2. $13,700 (keep oil)(includes new tank)
  3. $11,500 (keep oil) (new tank not included)
  4. $13,500 (keep oil)(includes new tank)

Oil utilizes a new Buderus G115/4 boiler.

I am leaning towards just sticking with oil for simplicity. The only area I have to keep a propane tank is on the opposite side of the house from where the boiler will be, adding to complexity and cost... Not to mention having giant unsightly tanks in my yard.

Old 05-07-18, 07:47 PM
D
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts
Lack of hot water big issue here. Just install a separate oil fired hot water heater.

Old boiler can last 60 years or more. Look on heating and DHW as separate issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: