Valve zone cover replacement in condo

Old 07-01-18, 03:40 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Valve zone cover replacement in condo

So the heat is on full blast in my condo, was told I need a new valve zone cover. Bought one and changed it myself. Seems to have solved the problem, sort of. It went cold for a couple days and then went full heat again. Figure I'd just call a plumber to get it troubleshooted correctly.

Plumber shows up, checks thermostat, it's fine (new) and wired correctly, then tells me it's the valve zone cover, I say it's a new one already but he insists on changing it. Alright, I'm not about to argue. He does his thing and changes it. He turns the valve off at the starting point and the ending point of the baseboard heat. Comes back and says the ending point is leaking (wasn't leaking before, I check it all the time literally doing a reno in that room)

He tampers with the valve and it leaks a bit, kinda stops, nothing major. He didn't fix my heat blast issue, he just turned both valves off and left. Nothing solved here. Now 2 days later the ending point valve is dumping out water and getting all around the concrete and drywall corners. Just everywhere.

So my question is, without calling an emergency line YET, if I turn both valves off will the water eventually bleed from the baseboard heat and stop? Or is it constantly at full force because it's a radiant heater tied into a central boiler system? Can I isolate it and close off the water just to my unit?

Building is 25-30 years old, central boiler, it's 3 in the morning and I don't want to call an emergency line yet. I have a bucket catching the water for now. Just deciding how to approach this.

I really just want to know if the water will stop and I can sleep on it or if this will be a constant flow until it's isolated outside of my unit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-18, 10:46 AM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
O
Without seeing the location of the valves or what you're dealing with it's hard to tell but it sounds like there are multiple zones off one boiler.

If this is the case I would imagine for ease of servicing the system and individual zones there would be shutoffs at the beginning and end of each zone or condo.

If you do have these isolation valves, if you shut them off and they work that will stop water from feeding in and take the pressure off the zone allowing for work to be done and the leak to eventually stop.

Once the water is drained that's in the pipes between the valves the leak will stop and will be able to be repaired.

Your heat problem is another issue. Pics would be helpful of the zone valve and stat.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 07-01-18, 12:53 PM
O
I turned both valves off before going to bed but the end point is still leaking water. I'm thinking I have to get a valve replacement on that end but that will involve getting strata to put notices up to turn off the building water.

In my particular unit I only have one zone valve near the entrance
This picture is the starting point

And this is the end point where it's leaking

Both valves are closed. This is a bedroom but I pulled the carpet to start a hardwood floor replacement. Good thing the water leaked now before the job was finished. Still leaking back here a bit, catching the water in a baking sheet.

No heat now, totally cold in here. I guess I expected that with the valves closed.

Old 07-01-18, 01:04 PM
O
Including pics with the cover off

Old 07-01-18, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,122 Votes on 1,042 Posts
Not sure what a valve zone cover is. I know what a zone valve is. Maybe a zone valve motor ?

I see a shut off and a zone valve. You should be able to shut the water off just before the zone valve. I'm not sure what the deal is at the leaking end. That looks like some type of shutoff/bleed valve. Does not look like an easy repair.

Old 07-01-18, 01:44 PM
O
I probably meant to type zone valve motor. I've had some long shifts lately plus my home reno so things are just blending together at this point.

I'm thinking I'll have to get strata to post notices up to get the water shut off and have someone qualified to change that shutoff/bleed valve. It's still leaking as of this posting. Not a fast leak now, a slow drizzle but it's not doing me any favors.