black smoke from diesel burner

Old 07-08-18, 09:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
black smoke from diesel burner

Hi Everyone... I have black smoke coming from my diesel burner.
- I changed the filter
- checked air intake is open
But still have the issue.

Its burning more fuel than normal...
any suggestions?

Attached Images     
Old 07-08-18, 10:05 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Where is the blast tube? You need that too.

Old 07-08-18, 11:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i have it but I normally test it without it on ... doesnt seem to make a difference in terms of black smoke

Old 07-09-18, 03:57 AM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
As GUYOLD asked, where is the blast tube and retention head? Without the rest of the burner assembly there is no way to mix the combustion air and the atomized oil to eliminate the resulting smoke from the burning oil. You will also notice in the pictures you supplied that the oil flame has no real pattern. Your answer, that I have it but I normally test it without it on and that it doesn't doesn't seem to mind in terms of the black smoke means that there is probably some other part that is missing or the combustion is totally wrong. You can not test a burner's flame in the open air as you are showing.

Old 07-09-18, 08:56 PM
D
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
takaya49: i have it but I normally test it without it on ... doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of black smoke ........Its burning more fuel than normal...any suggestions?
You have what is called a “retention head” burner designed to create a ball of fire resulting in better combustion in the chamber. The flame should be different with and without tube. The heads (F1, F2, F3) are for different firing rates on same burner. There is more to this than a nozzle pissing out fuel ignited by a spark to create a flame. Of course in this case the nozzle could be the problem

Here is a Beckett link on combustion heads. It may be deep but that is my point:
https://www.beckettcorp.com/support/...mbustion-head/

After getting right head and settings, install a pump with a delay solenoid to reduce soot formation at beginning and end of each burner cycle. Then clean the hell out of the boiler chamber. Those are a few things to clean up the flame.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: