Shut off baseboard heater valve

Old 07-26-18, 08:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shut off baseboard heater valve

Our pneumatic thermostat JohnsonControls (direct acting, 2 pipe) appears to be stuck in the "on" position and, since it's a pneumatic and old technology, I'm having problems getting someone to come out and fix it. While I look to get a repairman, I'd just like to manually turn off the baseboard heat if possible because it keeps pushing out heat, making it hard to sleep. I'm attaching a picture of the valve for the baseboard heater. Can I just turn this to the right and the heat will shut off?

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-18, 11:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have pneumatic controlled valves in your home ?
I can't remember ever seeing them in a home before. Maybe it's time to change over to newer style electric valves.

Turning that valve clockwise should be shutting it off. With age..... it probably won't shut off completely but it should be enough to keep the heat down. I'm guessing the boiler is running because you are using it to make domestic hot water ?

Old 07-27-18, 06:12 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Pete, the apartment was built in 1965 and the units in the building all seem to have the older style of pneumatic thermostats. The boiler is for the building so I can't turn it off. I turned it clock-wise last night and it didn't shut off over night. I might try turning it counter and see if I have any luck.

Thanks,

Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: