Old 10-03-18, 03:08 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Boiler won't shut off

steam boiler
beckett AFG

beckett genisys 7505

beckett clean cut A2EA 652 ( there might be another digit , but it is obliterated

Oil fired

Came home , boiler was running. Thermostat set at 60. It was 79 in the house. Nothing should have been calling for heat or hot water.
Turned off the emergency switch.
Next day, disconnected the thermostat at the thermostat.
Turned on. It ran for an hour, making hest when it was not called for.
Took a shower. After shower ,boiler shut off and stayed off.
Could it be a problem with whatever turns on the boiler for hot water? Maybe a telay got stuck and the shower calling for hot water, then calling to stop, freed it.

Can i disconnect the hot water heater to see if it is the hot water heater?

I have the tube in the boiler on demand type hot water

Old 10-03-18, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I have the tube in the boiler on demand type hot water.
That is called a tankless heater and it is not an "on demand" system. The boiler is supposed to maintain a minimum temperature to keep that coil hot for immediate hot water. It is normal for the boiler to cycle to keep that coil hot.

You should be able to observe the temperature gauge. With just the boiler maintaining the domestic hot water.... the temperature could be in the 120-140 degree range. When home heating is called for..... the boiler temperature will rise to appox 180 degrees.

Old 10-04-18, 08:19 AM
S
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
If you are producing only hot water for domestic use and the selector switch is turned to the hot water, the problem is probably that the hot water control thermostat is stuck or broken and not shutting the boiler off at the set point. This is where I would start trouble shooting. If this control or it's wiring screws up you could heat the house way past the thermostat setting. I would recommend that a second hot water thermostat control be installed to back up the first control just for safety. On commercial units redundancy is a code requirement on almost every control.

Old 10-04-18, 08:22 PM
X
i do not see a temperature gauge anywhere.
i am not aware of a selector switch.

just turned it on again, same thing. runs for a few minutes, stops for a few minutes. runs again. nothing is calling for heat or hot water.
it is making heat and domestic hot water.

is there a way to tell if the boiler thinks i am calling for heat or hot water? can the two signals be separated?

Old 10-04-18, 08:29 PM
X
photos of my system are in this thread.

Ran out of fuel oil: how do I restart

Old 10-05-18, 04:42 AM
S
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Since I am not at your residence to check all the wiring and controls that are installed on your boiler, I can't service the boiler or make any exact calls to address your particular problem. However, there is usually a switch or isolation relay that controls the heat and or just the hot water production in the warmer weather when no heat is required. Could you post a picture of the whole boiler and the wiring print that was supplied with the boiler.

Last edited by Steamboy; 10-05-18 at 04:44 AM. Reason: ask another question
Old 10-05-18, 07:15 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
photos of my system are in this thread.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...i-restart.html
Yes and IMHO that thread is mass confusion, and you never did update that thread to indicate what eventually solved that problem. But to answer part of Steamboy’s question, there are pics on that thread and there is a CycleGard LWCO and a Hydrolevel Programmable Water Feeder and it does look like a round temperature gauge on the upper left side of the boiler.

Old 10-05-18, 09:58 AM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
X,
You have a tankless coil for your hot water which is controlled by an aquastat which has nothing to do with the making of steam heat and is only operational on a call for hot domestic water which is why the boiler will run without the stat being connected.

If you are getting heat which means you are making steam either your aquastat is getting stuck or it could be your pressuretrol (grey box near your gauge.

What you can try is connect your stat back up and remove a wire from your aquastat for your hot water and see is your boiler runs. If it does disconnect your stat and see if it still runs. If it does connect your stat back up and remove a wire from your pressuretrol that may be getting stuck.

That pressuretrol is your high limit for your heat which means it will shut your boiler off on pressure and turn it back on when the pressure decreases from the steam going into the rads.

Even if your aquastat is off a little it takes 212 deg. to make steam to get heat to your rads.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-05-18, 10:36 AM
X
zonesdad - the problem, in the older thread, fixed itself. i have no idea what caused it, or fixed it.

Old 10-05-18, 10:39 AM
X
Originally Posted by zoesdad
Yes and IMHO that thread is mass confusion, and you never did update that thread to indicate what eventually solved that problem. But to answer part of Steamboy’s question, there are pics on that thread and there is a CycleGard LWCO and a Hydrolevel Programmable Water Feeder and it does look like a round temperature gauge on the upper left side of the boiler.
if you are referring to the photo of the whole boiler, that gauge is a pressure gauge.

Old 10-05-18, 11:51 AM
X
i just turned the boiler on again because i needed domestic hot water.
and again, after i tuned off the hot water, the boiler shut off and stayed off.
i haven't had a chance yet to try what SPOTT suggested, but i was just wondering if not shutting off when the room thermostat setting is reached, but shutting off when i stop calling for hot water, helps anyone in figurng out what might be wrong.

Old 10-05-18, 02:09 PM
S
It should all happen automatically without you doing it manually. By shutting off switch will reset electronic controls if there is a problem but your aquastat is mechanical and shutting off the switch has no effect on that.

Old 10-07-18, 02:32 PM
X
I just tried leaving the boiler power on for 48 hours, thermostat disconnected at the thermostat.
Boiler turned on and off for domestic hot water and the normal cycles to keep the boiler warm for the domestic hot water.
Could it be the thermostat?
If the thermostat called for heat, then didnt send the signal that the shut off temperature was reached, would the boiler just keep making steam for heat?
I was planning on replacing the thermostat anyway, just wondering if i should try the easiest first.

Old 10-07-18, 04:00 PM
S
X,
It could be very well be the stat. The t-stat is only a switch, just like a light switch but automatic.

If you have a meter and know how to use it connect your stat back up and check for 24V at the terminals. Then turn the stat up to call for heat, the meter should read 0. Turn it back down to see if the 24V is restored.

If it doesn't your stat is defective. It could also be way out of calibration which would cause inconsistent operation.

By running the boiler without it and getting proper operation you have eliminated the controls on the boiler and the stat wire which could have had a short in it keeping the boiler running as though there was a call for heat.

To double check your problem you can reconnect your stat and see if the problem returns. If so you'll know it's the stat.

Old 12-05-18, 08:43 PM
X
update

I replaced the thermostat.
I t recently got cold enough for the furnance to come on.
It has been starting and shuting off normally.
I am going to assume it was the thermostat.

Old 12-05-18, 10:03 PM
S
Thanks for the update. Merry Christmas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: