Humidifier with hydonic heat?

Old 11-05-18, 03:48 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Humidifier with hydonic heat?

I've been using a portable humidifier - requires manually refilling and chemicals. I'm considering an Aprilaire 350: https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-hous...fier/model-350. It's similar to humidifiers that attach to the supply duct of a forced-air furnace, and uses the furnace fan for its air supply,

The Model 350 has a built-in fan, hangs from basement joists, has provisions for connecting a humidified air supply duct to living spaces, and uses warm water for automatic make-up. I would use my gas-fired water heater for the water supply - using my hot-water boiler would present complications.

Comments?

Old 11-05-18, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
This from the install manual.....

Models 350 and 360 must use service hot water (140°F maximum) for a heat source, as heat is needed for evaporation.

Old 11-05-18, 05:07 PM
G
Yes, thanks, the 140 deg limit for the humidifier is one reason I propose to use my gas-fired water heater as the make-up source. My hot-water heater runs at 120 deg vs. 170 deg for my hot-water boiler (which would, then, require tempering). There are some other complications to use my boiler, which I would want to avoid. I seem to recall that the rated make-up to the humidifier is only 6 gpm - not significant for wasting the water or heating it in my water heater. And, that's only when the humidistat is calling.

Old 11-06-18, 04:00 AM
G
I misspoke - the flow rate of the makeup is 6 gph (gal per hr), not gpm. What doesn't evaporate would be wasted to a floor drain, like blowdown.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: