Water radiator valve replacement

Old 11-21-18, 06:28 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water radiator valve replacement

hello everybody,

I have an old water radiator and the valve to control it is not working anymore : I can turn the knob forever and nothing change (it stays on full open). I removed the knob and same story. So it's clear that the valve doesn't work !

I want to change it. I checked on internet, and it doesn't look too complicated for me (draining the water, unscrew etc etc) but I have one issue :

> I cannot find a water valve for the replacement ! All the time it is written "steam valve", so I am wondering what should or can do ?

Is a steam valve will work with water radiator ?
Do I have to buy a thermostatic valve instead ?
Or should l I change the radiator ?

I added in attachment some pictures.

Thank you for your help

Alex

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-18, 06:48 AM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
That sure is a very old valve. You can buy a newer version of that valve at "Supplyhouse.com". In the search window type in "hot water angle radiator valve" and you will find what you are looking for. And by the way, that union piece that is threaded into the radiator must also be replaced (it comes with the new valve). To change it you will need to have a "spud wrench' and maybe even a small 6" pipe wrench with a cheater handle. Turning the spud wrench only will probably break off the tits inside the fitting. Removing these fittings is an ART and a pain in the butt.

Old 11-21-18, 07:30 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
This advice comes late, I know - but all valves should be exercised periodically to keep them operable. If there is leakage around the stem, the packing nut can be tightened or the valve can be repacked.

In your present case, the stem can't be turned? Is the handwheel boogered, so it just twists without turning the valve stem? Then try swapping the handwheel with one that is known good. If the valve stem itself really is stuck, try loosening the packing nut slightly, and turn the stem with a pair of vise grips, and see if that helps loosen it up.

When loosening a stuck pipe fitting, such as that packing nut, it's best to use two pipe wrenches, torqueing in opposite directions - to keep from putting torque, in this case, on the valve body.

Old 11-21-18, 08:53 AM
A
Thanks so much guys !

Actually the valve is not stuck, but I can twist it like 20 turns with nothing happening. really need to be changed :-)

I did the search on supplyhouse website and looks like they have what I need, so now I have to chose the right size !!! I will let you know how it goes when I will receive it.

Best

Alex

Old 11-21-18, 10:43 AM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
This may help a little in removing the old valve. That valve is brass and those tits on the radiator side generally just shear off when trying to remove it from the bushing in the rad.

I found that hack sawing the nut off which is pretty easy since it's brass, you can use a larger pipe wrench and get a much better grip for removal or you can just remove the whole busing and replace with a new one.

That being said you will need a SPUD WRENCH, also sold on the same sight to install the new one. Don't be concerned with wrench size. One wrench fits all.

One other thought. The 2 pieces of the valve are made for each other so must be used together but if you get a valve made by the same company then the existing union will fit on the new valve so you might want to wait until you get the new valve until you remove the old one.

There are only a couple companies that make these and it would save you a ton of work.

From what the pic looks like the valve is 1/2" I believe but it could be deceiving.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps a little.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...=Spud%20wrench

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Hot-Wate...-Valves-632000

Old 02-04-20, 06:06 PM
J
Hey there alexthebobo,
Did you ever replace those valves? We're adding a radiator to a zone and am trying to find identical matching valves and spuds. Would you consider selling the used valves and spuds?

Old 02-04-20, 07:03 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
The union comes as 2 matching pieces already. Different companies make them and they do no mix and match. You buy them as a pair.

If you go to Supplyhouse.com and type in Radiator Valves in the search box.