Boiler leak at front plate

Old 11-27-18, 10:17 AM
T
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Boiler leak at front plate

Please excuse my lack of terminology but I've included a photo that should help.

I found a leak at my daughter's boiler this morning. There's a black plate (approx. 10" square) at the front of the unit that contains the temperature and pressure gauge. The plate has a series of bolts fastening it and the leak is from the bottom of the plate.

I'd appreciate finding out what this plate is and what may be happening. I assume the leak may be a gasket on this plate or something internal but I'd appreciate any thoughts.

BTW, the leak is a drop every 20-30 seconds.

Name:  xb.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  64.1 KB

Last edited by Tony P.; 11-27-18 at 10:33 AM. Reason: removed comment after reoriented pic
Old 11-27-18, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
That plate is the cover of the tankless DHW coil.
As I've found in the past...... the coil and that plate are changed as a complete unit.
Possibly it's just a gasket.
Can you post the model number for that boiler ?

Old 11-27-18, 11:24 AM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
You might try slightly snugging those hold-down nuts. If it's the gasket, maybe that will get you by until spring? I think I see part of a gasket sticking out the top edge.

Old 11-27-18, 11:55 AM
T
PJ, thanks to you and others for the input. The boiler is at daughter's home, not very close by. However, I'm wondering about repair options. Could it be worthwhile at this time to get an indirect hot water heater or is it best to wait until the boiler goes. We're in Connecticut.

Old 11-27-18, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
That boiler looks in excellent shape by the picture. I'd repair it.
If you have issues with low domestic hot water yield.... might be time to replace the coil.

Old 11-27-18, 01:42 PM
S
Received 87 Votes on 81 Posts
T,
Indirects are a lot more efficient but if you are getting sufficient hot water with the coil, depending where you live is going to constitute the cost and you will have to decide if it's worth doing the tankless repair or install the indirect.

Something to consider though is either way you are going to have to fix that leak. Installing an indirect is not going to stop the leak.

This company is the largest maker of tankless coils. The sight may give you some idea about what decision to make.

Look under Burnham on the right hand side of page 1. Scroll down to RSM 5 OR 6 to see if that's what you have. This will show you what's available.

https://www.tfi-everhot.com/pdfs/TFI_TanklessCoils.pdf

Hope this helps a little

Old 11-27-18, 04:44 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
From your pix, I'm not certain, but I think your installation has 10 bolt holes. That should help you narrow down the replacement from the link posted by Spott. I agree with Pete - that boiler does not seem to be anywhere near its end of life. A boiler salesman, working on commission, might disagree, and offer to replace the boiler for about $10,000.

Old 11-27-18, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Strange thing...... in that link page and on others..... I see what looks to be the same coil but no connections for the aquastat or gauge. Just the bolt holes and the two water line connections.

Old 11-28-18, 04:35 AM
T
Thanks to all for your quick turnaround with comments and good information. I've seen enough to recognize this is above my comfort zone so it's clear my daughter and son-in-law will find someone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: