New system - new problem - very uneven heat

Old 01-03-19, 05:58 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New system - new problem - very uneven heat

I just had a new system put in place. My home is a multi level home... so I have a first floor and second floor but I also have a ‘middle’ floor.

It is a natural gas, hot water system with baseboards. There are two zones. The lower level and “middle” level are one, and the upstairs is its own.

The thermostat for the zone with two floors is on the lower level... this is the floor we spend the most time “family room” as well as one bedroom bathroom and guest room - kitchen and formal living room as well as office are middle level.... my issue is the middle level feels really warm while the lower and upper levels feel cold... lower thermostat set at 69 but always reads 71... upper set at 75 but rooms feel 68/69... thermostat for this zone is on landing at top of stairs from middle level to upstairs...

so zone 1 includes lower and middle
zone 2 is upper

zone one is set low (69) but this zone handles two floors... the middle floor feels 75 and the lower level feels 68 ———— thermostat read 71

upstairs is zone 2 ———— set at 75, reads 75 but rooms all feel 68/69

any ideas why/how to improve

Old 01-03-19, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
You just had it installed ? By a professional company ? Did you ask them to look at it ?

Old 01-03-19, 07:09 PM
S
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
For a new system you seem to have a lot of issues. Uneven heat problems can come from a multitude of things, for example:

The temp of the hot water being delivered to the emitters. Is it too cool to start with. When figuring baseboard it goes by btu's per foot at a certain water temp to get the desired output.

Did they put in the right amount of baseboard to compensate for the heat loss. The length of the runs and the way they configured the piping. Did they make the runs so long the water cools too much before it gets through the loop, leaving the last room or two feeling cool.

The size of the piping. Pipe will only carry so many BTU's before you must increase to a larger size, for example a 3/4" copper pipe will carry about 45000 btu's so depending on how much baseboard your feeding is one of the factors that determines your pipe size.

Your t-stat location. Is it a central location, away from drafts and any heat source that will make it run longer or shorter keeping some areas cooler than others. Your stat being at the top of the stairs may be feeling the rising heat from the lower floor, shutting it off early, leaving some room cooler.

Piping layout. Did they try to put everything on one continuous loop or did they split the loop for a more even heat on those 2 floors or even a large area.

The point is you have a lot of factors that go into a well balanced heating system and not being there it's impossible to see what was done.

My suggestion as PJ mentioned would be to call back your contractor with all your concerns since this is a brand new job and they did all the calculations and no where all the bodies are buried.

Just my opinion, hope this helps a little.

Old 01-04-19, 04:59 AM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
Use a thermometer near the thermostats to verify thermostat reading accuracy and your subjective "feels cold" temperature.

Old 01-07-19, 08:55 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I will try to reply to all of your comments -

First, I appreciate all of your time and just taking the second to respond to me. It is honestly extremely helpful and appreciated.

Let me explain a little better... My house was built in 1966, this is a closed loop system with 2 zones. It is baseboards with copper pipe (fairly certain)... I had fairly even heat, but my furnace was going. I replaced the furnace. Now my heat seems to be very uneven.

This was a professional company - I am in Massachusetts and used the program they have for 'green' upgrades. I am going to have them come take a look but this program sort of locks you into one person so I am trying to have some ideas of what could be and also just doing some due diligence on my own. You all know much more than I do about these systems. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but don't know these systems well. I have never been able to figure out my 2 zones, I know you cant either from the computer... A few professionals told me I didn't have 2 zones until I brought them down to show them the 2 valves.

"Your t-stat location. Is it a central location, away from drafts and any heat source that will make it run longer or shorter keeping some areas cooler than others. Your stat being at the top of the stairs may be feeling the rising heat from the lower floor, shutting it off early, leaving some room cooler."

I have been considering this as a likely issue. Thoguh it wasnt as pronounced before the new system. How hard/easy to move a tstat? Can I use a wireless one and sort of relay or possibly get an aggregate temp or something?

"Use a thermometer near the thermostats to verify thermostat reading accuracy and your subjective "feels cold" temperature."

I actually will plan on doing this this week. A simple but effective check.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSzWeRg45eCqcv5Q9

^thats a link to my old boiler and the new one... not sure if it helps at all though

Old 01-07-19, 11:52 AM
S
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
T,
It looks like they changed your near boiler piping. Is it possible to get pics from the left side of the boiler, expansion tank side, so we can see the pumps and the piping.

If you got even heat with the old boiler then my suspicion is they changed something with the new installation. Following some logic, a boiler is just there to produce heat, your heat emitters and piping to and from the boiler, up tp a point are the same.

What was changed by them was the piping directly coming off the boiler to the mains. My guess is that's where your problem may lie.

I don't see any pumps in the old boiler pics. In the new boiler pics I can't make out where the supply and return lines come off the boiler and where they go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: