How do I replace this radiator air valve?

Old 02-14-19, 08:15 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I replace this radiator air valve?

Many of the radiator air valves in the house I just purchased are noisy (steam heat). I've been going around simply unscrewing the old ones and screwing in new ones. Things are getting quieter.

However there's one baseboard radiator where I'm not sure how to remove the valve. It doesn't seem to turn at all, and even if it did, the wall would be in the way. I attached some pictures for reference.

What's the right way to go about this?

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  59.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-15-19 at 05:51 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 02-15-19, 03:44 AM
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 447
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Is this the only cast iron baseboard radiation installed in your house or is the whole heating system this type of radiation? For this one, you will have to break the union on the inlet pipe , remove the screws holding the rad to the wall and pulling the rad towards you enough to spin the vent. Just a note, cast iron baseboard radiation should not be used in a 1 pipe steam system Normally, if I were replacing standing cast iron radiators I would use 1-1/4" or 2" all steel baseboard radiation. A friend of mine bought a large house in central Pennsylvania where a contractor removed all the free standing cast iron radiators and installed cast iron baseboard radiation. Now, the heating system does not work and he is left with a cold house. .
Old 02-15-19, 11:07 AM
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 2,754
Received 137 Upvotes on 129 Posts
Loosening or removing cast iron baseboard can be a problem, especially if you've never done it before.

Since you're changing the vent anyway my suggestion would be to leave the unit in place and snap of the vent and then remove the nut which will come out with the right tool. Put a pipe on your wrench to give you more leverage. If you have a big problem you can remove the whole bushing and then replace with a physically smaller vent like the VARIVALVE steam vent.

They come angle or straight to fit your project. The sight below will show you some options.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-15-19, 05:52 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 63,937
Received 3,759 Upvotes on 3,370 Posts
Looks like one copper pipe supplying it.
You may be able to carefully slide the radiator away from the wall on the vent side.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: