Seeping Control Valve

Old 03-30-19, 09:38 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Seeping Control Valve

My neighbor has a flow control valve that's seeping water at the valve stem and I'm sure its the packing (I had to turn that valve about a month ago to troubleshoot an issue). That zone has no valves to isolate the boiler from the rads on that zone. I know repairing or replacing the valve is the proper way of fixing this, but I don't want to drain that zone if I don't have to (The system is 40+ years old and I don't want to uncover a rats nest) I would like opinions on sealing that drip externally. Thank you.

Old 03-30-19, 11:01 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Have you tried tightening the packing nut?

Old 03-31-19, 09:54 PM
M
No. I forgot to mention an important observation. This valve has a significant amount a rust/mineral deposits around the stem and that nut. This indicates a history of leakage and it provided a degree of sealing the leak. I broke that "seal" when I exercised the valve. That's why I want to cheat and seal it from the outside. Your question made me think about whether I should fix it the right way or cheat, so I thank you for that. I feel that his financial situation makes me want to try externally sealing the leak since it's a minor issue at this point. It's worth a shot. Sorry for this post to only answer my own question.

Old 03-31-19, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to seal it from the outside.
You may be able to clean it up with a wire brush and still tighten the packing nut.

Old 04-01-19, 03:16 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
This sight will show you your different options and give you some helpful info.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Flow-Control-Valves-275000

Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-01-19, 04:44 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Replacing the flo-control valve is what I would do. You will need to drain the system. Otherwise, follow Pete's suggestion: try to clean up the packing nut with a wire brush, and see if you can tighten the packing nut.

The problem seems to have been caused by neglected maintenance. It makes me wonder what other problems may be lurking in the system.

Old 04-08-19, 11:29 PM
M
Thanks for the info. Everything else appears to be in order. That's why I'm hesitant on draining the system for a repair just for a little seepage. On the boiler I installed, at my parent's house, I installed shut-off valves on the supply and returns for each zone to facilitate repairs without the need for draining. I'm not sure if it's standard practice, but it should be.

Old 05-06-19, 10:27 PM
M
I realized I never posted a conclusion to this thread. I was able to tighten the packing nut just a little bit, but it only slowed the water seepage. Taking everything into account I decided to go with sealing it externally. Replacing/repairing the valve could cause more headaches with an aging system. I was able to stop the leak with a little permatex. Thank you for all the advice.

Old 05-07-19, 10:15 AM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
M,
Thank you for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: