Does 10 year old boiler need replacement ?

Old 06-25-19, 03:44 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Does 10 year old boiler need replacement ?

hi DIY community, we have a older house with a about 10 years old gas water boiler (2009 model year),
we recently had a visit from a heating and plumbing person came just to inspect the furnace.

with everything working well, he said i should replace my boiler just "because its 10 years old now, which is typically the lifespan", and quoted me about $1500 to replace it.

We have soft water here, should we be replacing it now? or wait until some symptoms come up?

thank you all

Old 06-25-19, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,811 Votes on 2,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a furnace and a boiler in your home ?

Ten years old does not signify automatic replacement.
Look for and post the make and model of the boiler for us.
There should be an ID tag near the burner area.

Old 06-25-19, 04:30 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi there pete.

its working fine now. and i dont spot any stain or what so ever..

yes i also have a 1993 made furnace..its working fine. apparently tech guy said i need to replace that since its getting OLD.. and he detected 7ppm carbon monoxide right beside the flame.. no Carbon monoxide at air outlets..i dunno if i should trust him.. its obvious that there should be a little carbon monoxide beside every flame. such as a stove

on a side question.. should the boiler to drained once a while? i have read on this forum that draining will cause air to go in boiler and further escalades corrosion.

Old 06-25-19, 04:54 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Ten years is the average life of a domestic water heater. Some hydronic space heating systems have been installed with water heaters rather than real boilers and if yours is one then MAYBE it should be replaced but if you are not constantly adding water (changing water or have a leak) then even a water heater could last for thirty years in such service.

Some pictures as well as the manufacturer of the "boiler" would be necessary to state any more but I suspect that you had someone looking for a fast buck giving you a line.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-16-19, 08:45 AM
Received 158 Votes on 141 Posts
we recently had a visit from a heating and plumbing person came just to inspect the furnace.

I have seen several posts in the last week where someone came just to inspect a boiler or furnace, recommended replacement and quoted what seems to me to be a pretty high price. Where are these guys coming from? Are these door to door HVAC salesmen or is there a local ordinance requiring these inspections? Did you call and ask this guy to come do your inspection? If you didn't call him, why did you let him in the door in the first place?

Old 07-16-19, 09:56 AM
D
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
My house had a 59-year old gas boiler and it was still going strong. I replaced it last year so it wouldn't die in the middle of winter, and it was oversized so I hoped to see some savings from putting in a new smaller one. Spent $6500 and now that I had the new one for a full winter I wish I had kept the old one for at least a couple more years - didn't see much savings.

Old 07-16-19, 12:15 PM
S
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
Hot water boilers need replaced when it is no longer cost effective to repair them. For example, when a particular needed repair part is no longer available or when a cast iron sectional boiler leaks at a section and the replacement section and repair cost almost as much as a new boiler. I live in a town north of Pittsburgh, Pa. and a catholic church that the company I worked for, had 2- 100+ year old hot water boilers. After 1 of the boilers cracked a section, and replacement sections were not available, the church replaced both units. If I were you, I would loose the phone number of that company that came to your home and said it was time to replace the boiler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: