Managing my hot water radiators

Old 07-22-19, 06:17 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Managing my hot water radiators

I've got an issue with the hot water radiators in my second floor bedroom, and while I think I have a solution I'd love to run it by you all and see what you think. I've attached a rough floorplan to illustrate the issue.

first, the bedroom in question is a new addition I added about four years ago. I bought a used radiator, refurbished it and installed it as an extension of the existing hot water heat in the house. but on a dedicated line. it worked great for years, but last year I also moved a few around downstairs and now the new bedroom runs about 1-2 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. my guess is less heat is rising up the stairs and entering the bedroom suite (bedroom and dressing room illustrated in the drawing). So the radiator in the bedroom is working harder.

As you can see there's a smaller radiator in the adjacent dressing room which you pass through to enter the bedroom.

My plan is to install a larger (almost 2X) radiator in the dressing room in the hope it helps heat the bedroom form the other end, and makes up for less heat coming up the stairs. I think the small radiator in the dressing room was a bit undersize in the first place.

what do you think? jp

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-19, 02:39 AM
G
any thoughts on this -- i did a drawing and everything

Old 07-24-19, 12:17 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
gr,
First, you said the rad was working fine when first installed and then you moved some around and are now not satisfied.

When you moved the rads around did you put a bigger one in the room with the stat. This will make the stat shut off sooner and stopping that bedroom rad from heating the way it did. You really cannot depend on heated air rising to heat a room in your situation.

More info would be good about your rad changes and pics if possible. Is this all one zone and how are the rads fed from the main. Are they on a loop or individually fed. Enlarging a rad in one room will have little effect on heating another room. It will just overheat the room it's in.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 07-24-19, 02:35 PM
G
thank you!

Setting aside my assumption on the cause which is just that; nothing on the second floor has changed, other than the drop of 1-2 degrees we've noticed vs. the rest of the house which feels comfortable as ever.

there are two main lines in the basement: one outbound and one return. each radiator throughout the house has two individual lines running two/from the mains. there is only one zone/thermostat, and it is downstairs.

the only change I've made was before the temp change: I took out a 20"X26"X6" radiator in the downstairs hall, just below the door to the dressing room in the pic, and instead put a toe-kick heater under the bottom step. Once done, the downstairs hall actually felt as warm or warmer, and because the toe-kick pushed the heat out toward the front door, the front of the hall and entry actually felt warmer.

that's what led me to think that the downstairs hall radiator had been helping to heat the upstairs hall and therefor helping with the bedroom.

Importantly and apologies for not mentioning this sooner, but there is no radiator in the upstairs hall, only in each bedroom.

So I was thinking that the downstairs hall radiator was also heating the upstairs hall. and perhaps the toe-kick was doing fine with the downstairs hall, but perhaps not sending as much heat upstairs as the radiator had been? the downstairs radiator I removed sat right alongside the staircase, and the heat rose straight up unencumbered via the stairwell.

Hopefully that all makes sense? I can certainly graps some pics as well -- what would be most helpful?

and again thanks.

Old 07-24-19, 02:39 PM
G
PS -- my thinking about a larger radiator in the dressing room was that it would act as a heat source on the end of the bedroom opposite the other radiator? I understand your point tho that my logic may be flawed.

Old 07-25-19, 06:53 AM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
g,
Although the to kick heater may provide you as much heat in that space when the stat is calling it stops heating as soon as the stat is satisfied where the rad will continue to heat, sending heat upward for quite a while after.

In that respect in your situation because heat does rise and it is at the bottom of a staircase it would have been more helpful than your toe kick which sends off no residual heat.

A cast iron rad has a higher btu output than a toe kick of the same dimension supplied with the same water temp if that makes sense and the rad will heat longer than the T.K. heater. With the T.K. heater, when the fan stops so does the heat where the rad keeps heating as long as the water has any temp.

Although the T.K. heater may distribute the heat better because of the fan, the rad continues to heat after the stat is satisfied where the T.K. doesn't. When the fan stops so does the heat.