No boiler pressure

Old 11-04-19, 02:50 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No boiler pressure

While taking a shower the pressure drops and doesnt build back up unless you turn the water off for a minute. We use 90% hot water during our showwer and after looking over my well pump and system I found that the pressure to my boiler is at 0. Now Ive had issues before as you all might remember. Well Ive had valve 6 off for a while and its been fine. I turned if on and took a shower and pressure was fine but the boiler pressure rises to over 30 and kicks off the prv. So, is my auto feed valve bad and should I try adjusting. If the problem has been fine for a while why do I now not have hot water pressure?

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  142.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-04-19 at 03:39 PM. Reason: resized/enhanced picture
Old 11-04-19, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
1 - quick fill valve - bypasses pressure valve. Normally closed.
5 & 6 - pressure valve service valves. Normally open. One gets closed if the PRV doesn't shut off.

8 - cold water supply to the tankless heater. (gets closed to service the tankless coil)
9 - hot water out to house (gets closed to service the tankless coil)

It sounds like your well is not keeping up with the demand. I'm guessing you've been closing 6 because the boiler is overfilling. When you opened 6...... the supply pressure dropped and sucked the water out of the heating loop. You need to get the PRV replaced. Since you are on a well..... you should have a check valve there too to stop the domestic from drawing water out of the boiler. That can cause contaminated domestic hot water.

Old 11-04-19, 04:34 PM
P
Why does the PRV need to be replaced? Its not old. Also when I opened it up the water looked terrible, is there concern there?

Old 11-04-19, 04:37 PM
P
There is a check valve right before my well pump. I wonder is thats plugged up? I doubt it cause the pressure holds. I replaced the pump a year ago but wonder if the ejector could be plugged already. My water is terrible here.

Old 11-04-19, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You should not have to run the system with the PRV closed off. That means you need to fill the boiler manually. If you are not going to change it..... then don't leave valve 6 open. I would still recommend a check valve be installed.

Old 11-04-19, 04:47 PM
P
By prv are you talking about #4 cause Im talking about the valve in the back with the lever

Old 11-05-19, 06:39 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Your boiler pressure and your hot water pressure/flow have nothing to do with each other. If your water is bad you may have a limed up coil which is limiting the flow of hot water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: