Burnham Revolution RV-5 boiler questions

Old 08-25-23, 11:21 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burnham Revolution RV-5 boiler questions

Hey rbeck you're still active? Glad to hear it. Thought you may retired by now. To refresh your memory. You came to my home in 2006. I live in Easton, pa. I had a 2400 sq.ft ranch built in 2004. I chose the revolution boiler. That first year, 2005, I believed I was using way too much gas (i had no history). I have the RV5 and I argued with the plumber for an RV4. He wanted to install an RV6.!! After many posts to forum and research and many calls to Burnham you actually came to my home to investigate. Turns out 3 of the gas tubes had fallen off their mounts and were firing in all different directions. They actually melted the part I think that holds the pilot light ignition, but something metal. It must have happened when they brought the boiler down my Bilco door steps. we got that straighten out and you recommended reducing the gas orifices from .45 to .48 (15%) making the input 111,000. You also recommended an outdoor reset, taco 506 and a 2 stage pc702. You explained to have the 1st stage fire the rv5 built-in circulator and 2nd stage to fire the boiler. Been working like a charm for 20 yrs and extremely efficient.

QUESTION(s)>>>
#1 That being said I just had a taco LTA-1203s-2 110v low water cutoff installed on the return pipe. After installation I noticed that the return pipe gets very hot after the boiler shuts down, say a good 10 minutes. It's hotter that the supply side. It was explained to me that I don't have any check valves on the return and the hot water migrates up the pipe. This is especially prevalent when making DHW (Burnham alliance indirect). I guess because of the short amount of piping. I got nervous because the installer had to break out the old 24v Safeco (garbage) plastic one I had and I thought maybe a piece fell in the return pipe and was causing a blockage. I guess I never noticed in all these years that return pipe getting so hot. So is the return pipe being hotter than the supply after shutdown normal?

#2. The manual shows a Honeywell L8148E1299 control but it was replaced years ago with the Honeywell L8148E1265. Is that ok? Why did they change the model from 1299 to 1265. Been working excellently as far as I can tell.

ADVICE: after getting a $882 install bill for the taco that costs about $130 online I decided to do a little maintenance on my own since boiler is 20 yrs old. I did repair the thermistor that attaches to the supply pipe coming out of the boiler. I used a worm clamp with thermal grease to mount it. She broke off who knows how long ago? Sure enough when the pc702 gets to about 150 degrees the vs3000 light starts blinking faster and at 160 the light is steady. The built in taco 007 still working great. However my Honeywell temp/pressure gauge is way off and needs replacement. The boiler drain leaks (I capped it) and should be replaced. Both look like easy projects for me (DYI). I see supply house has same exact gauge and another company has the actual burnham part for the 3/4" drain Conbraco 31-612-02, p/n 6066025. Any advice on removing them after 20yrs in place?
regards...

Separated from:
Burnham Revolution boiler circulator pump not working

Last edited by PJmax; 08-25-23 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-25-23, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to your own thread and sent rbeck a PM asking him to check this thread.

Old 08-29-23, 09:21 PM
P
revolution pics

Here are some pics of my Burnham revolution RV5 installed late 2003, operational 01/2004. I have only replaced the Honeywell L8148e (2x) and repaired the thermistor to the supply pipe. Also had the taco 110v LWC installed a week ago, replacing a piece of junk 24v safeguard (plastic threads).
regards....

Old 09-01-23, 08:39 AM
P
revolution supply incorrect

I am posting the original 2003 install of my revolution rv5. The plumber had the circulators on the return side. He said that was the way he learned to do it and had never heard of the circulators on the supply side. I showed him the revolution manual and he agreed to come back and change them to supply side. From recollection it took him a little over 1 hr.
I'm not a plumber but living here and doing research over 20 yrs his work was exemplary concerning all the slant fin baseboard, all the other copper water piping and drains etc. He did my entire home himself while teaching his 17yr son at the same time...
regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: