Zone Valve troubleshoot

Old 10-02-23, 01:06 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Zone Valve troubleshoot

Hi,

I have 2 zone valves in a hydronic heating system, I noticed that when the system is off (thermostat OFF or calling for a lower temp than current temp) the lever on top of the zone valve moves freely (my understanding is it should only move freely when the valve is calling for heat and open).

The boiler is off (only pilot flame on) when the system is off, so it's not calling for heat now that I lowered the temp/shut it off.

I believe that the zone value is operating properly except the fact that the mechanical lever on the bottom of it is broken. I put on the other zone (one that the valve and lever operate property) and waited to see if hot water would also flow past this inoperative valve, it did not, means its not stuck open.

Is it possible for the zone valve to operate properly with the manual lever broken? Should I just replace this?

Old 10-03-23, 05:42 PM
Received 16 Upvotes on 15 Posts
Zone valve is bad, stuck in the open position. You can verify by turning on the other zone, the one that doesn't have the manual lever loose. If you get heat through the zone with the loose lever the valve is stuck in the open position but not necessarily open enough to hit the valves end switch and turn the boiler on. Depending on the make and model of the valve you might be able to just replace the power head assembly and not the whole valve so you don't need to drain your system.

Old 10-04-23, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
waited to see if hot water would also flow past this inoperative valve, it did not, means its not stuck open.
Did you try powering it to see if it opened ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: