Bleeding steam radiator?

Old 01-31-24, 04:19 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Bleeding steam radiator?

Do you know how I can bleed this radiator? I cannot find the bleeder valve. It was easy to do this on other radiators I have had. Below are some pictures. Maybe I would have to remove the plastic turn-dial. There is a curved tool at the bottom that I assume might be for bleeding the radiator but I cannot find where it goes.

Last edited by hhdjue; 01-31-24 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 04:31 AM
H
I now read that steam radiators do not need to be bled because they already do so via the vent (shown in my pictures). However this radiator is knocking loudly hundreds of times a day. Metal on metal. It's not extremely loud, but is like someone with a tack hammer doing this, and it is in my living room. Loud pitched knocking. Do you have any recommendations on what I could do? Maybe the management should "drain" the radiator system in the basement (4 floor narrow building with 9-10 units).

Last edited by hhdjue; 01-31-24 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-17-24, 06:22 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 296 Upvotes on 271 Posts
Does the radiator work (heat up) normally? Weakly (only lukewarm)?

When did the knocking first begin?

Sometimes the settling of the building or the rotting of a strategic joist causes the floor under a radiator to sag and a more or less horizontal part of the steam lead in pipe under the floor takes on an inverse slant and cause a pocket of water to develop just before the radiator. Knocking may occur or the steam flow may just stop, blocked by the water pocket.

Sometimes raising the radiator itself by putting shims under its legs can help. But you must not use force since the pipe(s) under the floor could become strained and break. The success is best if the steam pipe after going into the floor goes several feet before having to go through a joist.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-17-24 at 06:44 AM.
hhdjue voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-24, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,156 Upvotes on 3,732 Posts
Does your radiator have one or two pipes ?

hhdjue voted this post useful.
Old 02-21-24, 07:04 PM
H
Below picture...no access to the base of it so cannot balance it. It is tilted way down to the right. With my hand I've pushed the right side over and it only moves 2-3mm. At the base there is no space to get a hand in there...the radiator is 1/2" to 1" from the wood on all sides. I'm not sure how many pipes. There is a several feet long pipe in my closet 8 feet away, vertical up the wall, and then horizontal. Horrible sounds in there as well...so maybe the problem is with dirty water/steam? The radiator works inconsistently...there will be 2 days where it heats by 750sq' place to 82+ degrees for 75% of the time, and then 2-3 days where it hardly is on and my place is 60 degrees and I have to use a space heater. The thermostat for the 10 unit 5 floor building is on the first floor (I'm on the 3rd), in the hallway...I don't have my own thermostat. The knocking can begin at the start of the heating, or 30+ minutes later. It often starts in my closet and then moves to my radiator.

Last edited by hhdjue; 02-21-24 at 10:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: