Removing and replacing concrete porch and steps

Old 02-14-16, 10:04 AM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Removing and replacing concrete porch and steps

Hello,

I have a concrete side porch and steps (a stoop, really) that is crumbling terribly. The concrete has a very sandy texture and even a stream of water from a garden hose nozzle will cause it to break up even more. It looks like it was a bad pour, and then someone put about a 1/4 inch skim coat over it to buy some time, and that time is now up.

Anyway, I don't know how well it can be repaired, but I think ultimately I'd like to remove and replace it with wood steps. I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue, mainly because of where it's situated, in a corner with part of it attached to a stone foundation, and part of it attached to a newer concrete block addition. In the basement, I can see what looks like two large bolts going through the concrete block and into the stoop.

I'm wondering if this means that either the stoop is holding up a the wall(s), or the walls are holding up the stoop? Does this majorly increase the scope of the job?

Name:  stoop.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  8.0 KB

Name:  224.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  42.2 KB

Old 02-14-16, 12:32 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Walls holding up the stoop.
Google "Century Steps"

Old 02-19-16, 07:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the concrete is shot, it has to go--meaning remove and replace, regardless of how it's attached to the foundation. And keep in mind that replacing with wood means you (or your widow's next husband or boyfriend) will be either spending a lot of time and effort maintaining it, or even replacing it (multiple times) in the future. Concrete is the way to go, mainly because if done correctly, it will last for many dozens of years with minimal maintenance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: