How would you deal with the contractor?

Old 03-01-16, 10:35 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How would you deal with the contractor?

I was concerned that the stucco patch had begun cracking on top left, just inside the window recess (see top pic) so I called a licensed contractor, who does concrete/masonry repair & restoration full time, for a "free estimate" on the repair.

Name:  concrete florida room.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  32.8 KB

The contractor came to the house, looked around, took moisture readings and a couple of pics and then took out a hammer, starting tapping around. When he got to this spot, he started hitting a bit harder, then left me with this (see bottom two pics)!

Afterwards, he didn't appear to plan on giving me a free estimate on the repair as he said "I should ...go to HD and buy some Sika 211 or rapid set, then just layer it in...Maybe buy some blue bond and put that on first".

How would you deal with the contractor, who did this?

Name:  concrete florida room1.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  concrete florida room2.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 03-01-16, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think I would go to his house with a very large hammer.

Old 03-01-16, 11:50 AM
I would thank him, assuming you paid nothing. It looks like a poor patch and you suspected the same or you wouldn't have called anyone.
So the patch was "tested" with a giant hammer and failed. I'm joking but at least you got some advice on how to fix it versus them explaining how much it would cost in material, travel, job time, etc. Whenever I say something like this to a customer, I'm trying to save them money and basically telling them they don't need me.

Old 03-02-16, 05:59 AM
C
Interesting...
Two very different points of view.

Old 03-02-16, 08:46 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I'm in agreement with the others who said the contractor is trying to save you some $$$. Do what he says and call it a day. It's an easy DIY for a home owner and he's obviously confirmed there's nothing else wrong with the area around it. Free advise if you ask me.

Old 03-02-16, 04:42 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If he had just come there and looked but did not touch you would have had trouble believing what he told you. Although it looks ugly it is no worse than what it was.

Bud

Old 03-24-16, 08:02 AM
C
Originally Posted by tomf63
I'm in agreement with the others who said the contractor is trying to save you some $$$. Do what he says and call it a day. It's an easy DIY for a home owner and he's obviously confirmed there's nothing else wrong with the area around it. Free advise if you ask me.
Thanks!
Here are more pics for a better perspective of this corner column...The last pic being from the inside. If he thinks nothing else is wrong, why would it keep cracking with the cracks getting bigger?

Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: