Temporarily repairing really bad paving?

Old 03-22-16, 04:03 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Temporarily repairing really bad paving?

Hi everyone.

I will say straight up that this is not my area of expertise so forgive any moronic questions.

Basically in a nutshell me and my partner rent a house and we have a 3 year old daughter. The garden (in the loosest sense of the term) is about 25 feet and crazy paved but is in a very bad state, big potholes, gaps, large chunks missing from the concrete etc. Please see photo below although its worth further up the garden. Now we do not want to rock the boat with the landlord as we rent for a good price and really dont want (cant afford) the rent to go up. However we would also like our little girl to be able to play outdoors this summer without fear of her tripping and knocking out her teeth we clean so well every day!!

So, in short, my question is, is there a way to fill in all the chunks and gaps in between the stones and smooth out the paving easily without taking it all up? This is not meant to be a proper, decent long lasting job, just something that will last at least for the summer months. We know the landlord would be fine with us repairing it ourselves but obviously we are not going to spend out to get it done properly but it would be nice to not feel like we are walking over a building site!

Is it just a simple case of knocking up some cement and filling all the holes? Would this last for any length of time or would it all pop out like concrete plugs after a week or so?

Again, sorry for the silly questions but any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Name:  DSC_0058_1ddd.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 03-22-16, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not sure there is any saving what is there, ideally it would all be ripped up and replaced. I assume it was a concrete slab at one time, maybe with a design carved into the wet cement. Patches if you pour then thick enough may do ok but where do you start/stop? For a low budget fix I'd be inclined to rip it all out and use mulch.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 03-22-16, 09:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Nope, nothing coming to mind.

See if the landlord will work with you on replacing this with you paying part of the bill or providing some of the labor.

Old 03-23-16, 01:48 PM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
From the picture, it looks to be very thin, and depending on your environment, frost heaves and freeze/thaw will decimate thin concrete in short order. Should really be ripped out and replaced. But I'm broke, so I also understand living in the "fix-it" world.

So, depending how much you want to spend, you could probably fill the bigger spots with some cement patcher, and go over it with a commercial concrete "resurfacer." I don't want to name brand names (not sure if it's allowed), but if you go to the hardware store and see something that says "resurfacer" or "topping" it might be a decent product. Something that claims to flow and bond well, and can be applied thin -- feather edge to 1/2 inch maybe. I've done that at my own house, with varying degrees of success. It may not survive through the winter, but it could buy you some time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: