Retaining wall footing blocked by neighbor's utility lines...

Old 04-15-16, 04:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retaining wall footing blocked by neighbor's utility lines...

Ugly situation here...

SO - we discovered all of my neighbors utility lines ( gas, telco, electric, cable ) sweep off of mine up to his house which is 4' above mine. To make matters interesting - there is NO utility easement. To make matters more interesting, they are only like 8" below level grade.

I hired a General Engineering Contractor to install the wall. It is maximum 4' high, and they are using the massive Keystone Standard blocks.

Take a look at the pics showing the problem:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

IS there a way to construct the footing through these lines, encapsulating them somehow or is there no solution? I am sure I could sue the utilities and take a year to force them to get my neighbor's lines off of my property - but I need this wall built.

What do you think?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-16, 08:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Since you have no frost line there, how deep do the footings have to be? Is the wall going to be perpendicular to your house?

Old 04-17-16, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have to ask--why are you using concrete footings, since Keystone walls typically just require compacted granular base for their support? Unless it's a Calif. seismic requirement, I'd stick with manufacturer's recommendations and use 6" of compacted base. Although it's been a few years since I've worked with Keystone products, my fuzzy memory is telling me the Keystone Standard units were usually used for walls much taller than the one you're building. Any reason for the overkill?

Old 04-18-16, 08:22 AM
C
Not using concrete, sorry if I explained it wrong. The utility lines are directly in line with where the buried course would be. How do you set the base course "around" this?

Agree on the overkill. The City is requiring that block for the grading permit. If you build a wall within 5' of a property line, they require a grading permit.

Old 04-18-16, 11:17 AM
M
Call your local utility companies and tell them about the problem. Since there is no easement and they encroach on your use of your property they should move them for you at no cost.

Also at least for the electrical conduit it's not deep enough to meet code.