Concrete mortar mix

Old 04-21-16, 11:09 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete mortar mix

I have a good amount of a brand name mortar mix that has been in dry storage and is in excellent condition. I need to add a strip of concrete to an existing concrete exterior door sill. The size would be about 1 3/4 inches high by 2 inches wide by 36 inches long.

Do you think I could use this mortar mix as is for this job or do I need to add small gravel to it? Or should I use something else completely?

I was going to brush on a thin concrete coat first to help adhesion and install about 6 stainleess screws into the existing concrete to keep it in place. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-22-16, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Also I'm not sure if mortar is strong enough, concrete uses portland cement.

Old 04-22-16, 05:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mortar is not for a casting/molding use. Mortar is meant for laying masonry units. In comes is different Types (M, S & N) to get the correct properties of it's use. It is not meant to be "strong" and even the ASTM specs for mortar say to use weakest mortar possible for the structural purposes because there are other properties that are more important. Don't be the typical "ice age goon" that thinks adding cement or coarser aggregate is the answer to everything regarding masonry.

You want a concrete mix that basically is Portland Cement and various aggregates with different amounts of cement. Most use the common Type I Portland Cement, but can be had with Type III Portland Cement (high early) or some kind of an accelerator. - Keep in mind that cement is just item that goes into concrete. Different bagging companies use different color bags for identification purposes.

Dick

Old 04-22-16, 08:20 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. Can you recommend a specific brand of pre-mix that would do the job?

Old 04-22-16, 09:14 AM
The brand means little since some producers of bagged materials can do many different products. - I knew of a plant that bagged Sakcrete, Quickrete, Handicrete, ???crete and kitty litter. Like all dry concrete mixes in bags local materials are used, so the same product name in one region will not be identical to a product in a different region. For concrete products the mixes must be able to meet the ASTM specs for that Type of mortar to comply with code requirements.

The kitty litter was not a local products and was delivered in bulk to the plant by rail from somewhere. I don't think there is "standard" for that, but there may be. It was a good non-seasonal fill-in product to keep the plant running. - It needed the same product controls for batching by volume or weight as the cementitious products required.

The bagging operation was owned by a concrete supplier that had over 200 delivery trucks.

Dick

Old 04-24-16, 07:23 AM
S
while whatever your local apron/vest store sells works for regular conc work, we'd use sika for this small piece,,, pin the new to the old as you plan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: