Adhesive for securing tile to exterior concrete

Old 05-07-16, 10:08 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adhesive for securing tile to exterior concrete

Looking to use tile to serve as the face of a concrete cinder block wall exterior wall, and I'm trying to figure out the best option for securing that tile to the concrete. I know there are many options in this regard, but I'm looking for something that will be as permanent and long lasting as possible. Anchoring epoxy like the one below seems like it's a good bet...

Quikrete 862031 High Strength Anchor Epoxy, 8.6 oz Size, Gray: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

But I realize that isn't necessarily what the product is intended for. Does that matter? Are there better options for a similar type of product? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 05-07-16, 10:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How much space do you have to cover & how far will that thing take you? A day worker helper, of mine told me that he did similar job. There are small decorative bricks that are being used as a face these days. Maybe you have seen them. He told me that they first attached a mesh against the wall with a Hilti Shot gun. Then mixed equal parts of Type N Mortar Mix, Portland Cement & fine sand. I had never heard of such a concoction but who knows?

Old 05-08-16, 03:35 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
tile's not recommended for exterior environment which experience freeze/thaw conditions,,, how do you define 'permanent' ?

Old 05-08-16, 08:44 AM
K
Permanent as in I want this tile to remain on there as long as this thing stays up. It's not a load bearing wall or anything structural, merely decorative.

And yes, I know the tile will crack and discolor as it is exposed to the environment, but that makes being able to secure it to the concrete that much more important.

Old 05-09-16, 05:28 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
As it is a vertical surface, I don't see an issue with using traditional thinset mortars. Large format mortars tend to have stronger initial grab. Brands like Mapei's LFT or UltraLite should do fine. Pay attention to the grout application to get good penetration and coverage. Seal the grout to promote some level of water repellancy. The key is to keep water from getting behind it during the freeze thaw cycles. Type N mortars are used for stone faced walls all the time, but for tile, to better the coverae the better.

Note that if the underlying structure or block shows any type of movement or cracking, it probably won't matter what you use, you will have issues down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: