concrete border depth?

Old 05-24-16, 06:11 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
concrete border depth?

I have been redoing my decks. The larger is footed but also over a concrete patio that is in need of repair. The lower was above gravel. I was thinking of doing some stamped concrete under them but wanted to surround the area with a border. I was thinking of just using a form to make a concrete border but wasnt sure about the depth it would need to be.
Figuring it will eventually be attached to a sort of slab would it need to be "footed" into the ground in anyway?
Would it be better to just go maybe 6-12" down with some gravel and sand under it?

Any tips are appreciated.
thanks

Old 05-24-16, 06:32 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by 'larger' & 'lower'. Does that mean upper & lower or larger & smaller. Required footings in CT are probably at least 3.5'. A slab or a boarder around a slab don't count as a footing.

Old 05-24-16, 06:41 AM
let me try and clear it up. I have two decks. A larger upper deck with stairs to a lower smaller deck.
They both have footings. The larger deck actually has footings which are also covered by a slab. So the entire larger deck basically has a concrete patio under it.
I wanted to possibly extend that out further under the smaller, lower deck and form stamp something nice.
I have not decided. Either way though I need something under the lower deck like gravel stone etc. I wanted to border it all in with something else besides pressure treated wood or rail road ties and thought a concrete border would be nice. Problem is Im not sure how far down a border should be in the ground to keep it from cracking or moving as long as possible. It will probably only stick out of the ground about 6" or so.
I was wondering if like a small lock block retaining wall a foot or so down with sand and gravel would suffice or do I need to foot the edging as well with rebar or such 48" down to keep it in one piece for the long haul.
All my footings are in the ground lol, the slab is not the footing.

Old 05-24-16, 07:18 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Problem is Im not sure how far down a border should be in the ground to keep it from cracking or moving as long as possible.
It's the same answer. 3.5' to 4' is where your frost line is. That doesn't change. Any footing less than that is a risk.

Old 05-24-16, 08:07 AM
but does that mean to pour concrete that far down or would rebar from the concrete tapped in that far be fine?
It only a 6" high by maybe 3 to 4" thick border Im making. I would think pouring 4" down might be overkill for that, no?

Old 05-24-16, 03:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Rebar doesn't change the frost line. If you want to take a chance with your design, go for it.

Old 05-26-16, 05:16 AM
i just want to make sure Im understanding you right and where on the same page. Your saying to pour the entire thing below the frost depth, which is 42" here?

I just did some research and I dont think thats right lol. It seems the border Im looking to do is called, curbing and really doesnt require a footing per say.

I dont think were on the same page here.

Old 05-26-16, 05:53 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I just did some research and I dont think thats right lol
If it's not right & you have more accurate information, follow what they said.

Old 05-30-16, 07:59 AM
I'm not trying to be rude I just didn't think I was explaining it right. I guess what I'm looking to do is completely above grade so it forms need a true footing. I appreciate everyone's input, I'll do more research to

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: