Cracks/broken blocks in foundation - help please

Old 05-27-16, 09:03 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracks/broken blocks in foundation - help please

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, so if I make any missteps, I apologize.

I was hoping to get some insight from fellow DIY'ers. My overall DIY experience is okay, but I am definitely less experienced/knowledgeable about foundations.

Basic story: Last summer, I hired a company to come in and cut a hole in the foundation for a window, and install a steel lintel. I installed the wood and window myself, foaming the gaps with low-expansion foam. Over the winter, cracks appeared, including a large chunk of block falling away (please see pics). The majority of the damage is to the left of the window opening, though I noticed when taking these pictures that there is also a crack to the right (third picture). This is a basement wall supporting a single story section of my home.

My basic question is this: is this something I can repair, or would you call in an expert company on foundation repair?

Some of you may be thinking that I should call in the original company, but that is not an option (long story, basically they will never set foot in my house as long as I'm here), so if I go the pro route, I will have to use a different company.

My thoughts for repairing it are pretty straightforward (due to my lack of experience here). I thought I would get some small stones/bits of concrete to fill the large gap, and then just basically fill everything else in with non-shrink grout, including the cracks. If this is a solid solution, then I feel comfortable doing so, but given that this is a structural problem, I don't just want to 'hide' the problem, or put a bandaid on it.

I look forward to any thoughts/suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images      
Old 06-01-16, 04:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your Band-Aid approach is not likely to do much good, other than helping with the appearance, if only for a short period of time. Call someone with concrete repair experience--several firms (for competitive bids, and hearing how they each would perform the repair) would be better than just one.

It wouldn't surprise me if your over-zealous use of expanding foam is what caused the block to crack and break apart.

Old 06-03-16, 05:34 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
what Ive known is mostly you want to grind out cracks to fill. For chunks like in the other pic youd want to remove as much as possible and rebuild it.
What are you worried about, structural integrity or appearance?
Bridgeman is suggesting what I would prob do. I will call in bids and pick their brains on what could/should be done if its out of my scope of research.
Im guessing personally them knocing out for the new window caused this more than the minimal expanding foam. It might be possible the foam just pushed on already un noticeable fissures but I cant see it actually cracking cinder block or else all your studding around windows would also push apart from it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: