concrete chimney flues

Old 06-24-16, 11:02 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete chimney flues

Hey All,

I have a slope as a part of my backyard. In general measuring, it is at approx, 30 degree angle. The soil is very hard and not the easiest to work with. Trying to water the area is another big challenge.

After a LOT of research and trying to figure out the best way to plant on it, I am planning to use concrete chimney flues as planters on the slope. At size 10" by 17" and 12" in height. That ought to do the trick.

Any concerns with what I am thinking of doing with that concrete product ?
For watering needs, I'm already using drip system elsewhere in the yard, I'll just use the same for this as well.

thank you.

Old 06-24-16, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are they concrete or terra cotta?? Red? There should be no problem using them as planters, but water will not stay in them very well. They will drain well if you have bad rains, but you need to figure a way, either by landscape cloth and gravel to help maintain some water for plant nutrition.

Old 06-27-16, 09:27 AM
X
Chandler,
thanks for your input. The flues are made of the typical grey concrete color. The ones made of terra cotta, are more than double in price of the ones made with concrete.

Oh, forgot to mention of the gophers I see pop up time to time. I was thinking of putting a piece of hardware cloth under concrete flue to keep roots from getting chewed up, at least while the shrub is being established.

I was also thinking of mixing soil and sand for water retention so the plant won't dehydrate so quickly.

Old 06-27-16, 09:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is it a flue or chimney block? Shop Concrete Block (Common: 16-in x 8-in x 16-in; Actual: 15.5-in x 7.5-in x 15.5-in) at Lowes.com

Flues are generally made of terracotta and are installed inside of the chimney block.

Old 06-27-16, 10:43 AM
X
I have attached a photo I took of the flue from the builders yard. These cost around $20/each.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: