New bolts have cracked 50 year old retaining wall

Old 06-26-16, 10:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New bolts have cracked 50 year old retaining wall

I have a concrete retaining wall that runs between two concrete day light basements. The wall is 8 feet high and 30 feet wide. 20 feet of the wall is on my property.

3 years ago we built a shed for light weight use, (lawn mower, gardening tools, etc) on the ground on top side of the retaining wall. We bolted the base of the back shed wall to the top of the retaining wall. I just noticed that there are cracks running mostly vertical down the wall from where the bolts were installed to almost the bottom of the retaining wall.

The cracks are about 4 feet apart. For each crack, the concrete on either side still appears to be flush, does not seem to have bulged out.

I do not know how the original walls were built, although until this they had lasted well for 50 years.

I plan to find a contractor to repair the damage, but before contacting people, I would like to have some ideas about repair.

Old 06-26-16, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A visual would be a big help here..... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-27-16, 08:16 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
how wide are the cracks ? .001, .002, .003, or larger ? have they started to leak water ? just a wag but the weakness may have been there all along then just evident when the holes were drilled,,, are the holes full depth ( completely thru the wall OR just deep enough for lead drop-in's & lags ? ),,, are there any joints in this 30' wall ? how were the holes drilled - diamond core drill OR hammer drill ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: