Advice on laying new paver path

Old 06-28-16, 07:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on laying new paver path

Hello all,

My first post here and I need some advice. I need to change a path that we have by the house to something using pavers. My dogs are digging a bit in this plus it gets a little muddy when it rains.

I have done a lot of research on this and much of the advice is for starting from scratch. I already have a path in place and am hoping this may be easier than what I am reading. The current path is made up of fine gravel and is pretty sturdy. I am thinking about using large flat rocks and filling it in with the polymer sand that I have read about.

Do I really need to dig down deep to lay the stones and put the sand underneath? The path is already sloped a bit and I am okay with that. So I am not too worried about being totally "level".

Anyway, would love to hear some thoughts on how to proceed and the easiest way to accomplish this.

Name:  Path.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  48.2 KB

Old 06-28-16, 07:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Typically, pavers sit in a layer of bedding sand (usually 1" thick layer of sand) which is on top of a compacted base.

You could always try your plan and go back and do it right if it doesn't work out. Looks to me like you need to remove some material to make room for the height of the pavers anyway.

Old 06-29-16, 06:40 AM
L
Most important thing to do is to make sure the base and sand are compacted thoroughly! How thick are the pavers you are using? Like stickshift said, you may need to remove some of the sand.

Old 06-30-16, 04:06 PM
S
We have not bought anything yet. I do agree that some dirt/gravel will need to be removed. I will get one of those things you use to tamp down the sand.

Old 07-01-16, 06:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
If it's actually sand, don't bother, as sand will not compact.

Old 07-01-16, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When pavers are installed, a 1" sand setting bed is screeded over the compacted base. Normally, for pavers, a vibratory compactor is run over the surface..

The purpose is not to compact the base, which is already compacted, but to even out the surface. The vibratory compactor also creates an interlock by vibrating the sand that is drawn up and the sand that is cast over the surface. This sand that ends up in the joints creates a strong interlock that make the paved surface much stronger and stable than banging on them with heavy weight.

You seem to have a good concrete edge restraint in. The problem will be setting the pavers in the pattern you choose. - There will be some cutting and fitting is you want a strong surface with no settlement.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: