Proper cement/mortar material for skimming a slope for drainage?

Old 07-29-16, 07:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper cement/mortar material for skimming a slope for roof drainage?

Hi All,

John here, first time poster. Background - My home (in thailand) has a concrete slab roof where in some places the slope is improper, allowing water to pool and eventually penetrate the slab and allow moisture into the interior (the waterproofing membrane is gone). My first step is to ensure i have a proper slope/drainage, and then apply an appropriate waterproofing membrane on top of it.

What concrete/cement components/mixtures would be proper to skim on top of the existing slab? The workers here applied a very thin coat of what looked like primarily cement (very fine), but it readily cracked (rains followed by hot sun), had to be redone, and to be frank, based on my experience here, I don't trust that the best solution or practice is being used. My thought was some kind of cementous material that had latex or other compound in it to make it stable, but i understand that there are modern compounds that work better for that purpose.

Understand that we don't have name brand materials here in thailand like back in the states - I'm gonna have to verify the compounds used in whatever cementous products they have here to make sure its proper for the job (will stick, wont crack, etc).

Many thanks for any tips or experience you can share

John

Last edited by John Hoecker; 07-29-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-30-16, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Votes on 1,412 Posts
Being out of the US makes things difficult. There are mixes available here that are intended for thin applications. I don't know of a recipe to make it yourself as I think they use a variety of polymers and additives in addition to portland cement and sand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: