Pouring concrete walkway against foundation

Old 07-31-16, 02:34 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pouring concrete walkway against foundation

Hi,

Pouring a 4' x 25' walk way against house foundation. I searched on this and most seem to say put a form against the house, and remove/fill once concrete sets. I'm assuming I would be screeding across the 4' dimension going along the 25' length.

Is this the way it's typically done? I have screeded to a chalk line on a wall once before but it was for a rough slab that was later covered with stone so it did not have to be perfectly flat. I don't think I would want to try that with a concrete walkway.

I suppose another way to do it would be to put intermediate 4' forms across the walkway and screed starting from the house and moving way from the house, thus removing forms as I go.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-16, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
I would nail 1/2" expansion joint to the wall. It does not get removed.

Old 08-01-16, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Sleeper, with the top of the expansion felt set to finished grade. If you are needing something to strike off of, set a line of 2 x 2 false-forms parallel to the felt and about 6" in front of it, removing them as you go. Not needed if you're a good man with a darby, of course.

Old 08-01-16, 11:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, don't really trust myself freehanding the screed.

I don't really understand why 2x2, normally it would be 2"x4" if slab will be ~3.5" thick?
Or is there no need for false form to extend to base?
In any case, do you mean to lightly stake some false forms as you said, perhaps 4' long, pulling out and patching as I go?

Old 08-02-16, 01:50 PM
The purpose of the false form is to provide a temporary form (close to the foundation) for striking off the mud, parallel to the permanent outside form. It is pulled as the pour progresses, with the 2 x 2 void left under it filled with fresh concrete and hand-finished. No need to use a 2 x 4, as you want to in-fill as little material as possible. The beauty of using a 2 x 2 is being able to attach each stake directly under it, using long flat-head wood screws--making it almost impossible to leave a stake embedded in the mud as the form is pulled.

Old 08-02-16, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
Around here guys will drive in a few wooden stakes with a pair of 12d finish nails driven partway in. The purpose of the nails is to hold a 1x4 vertically on top of several stakes so that it can be used to screed, then the 1x4 is slid down as the pour progresses. Some guys use pipe instead.

Old 08-02-16, 06:46 PM
Sleep, I've seen that done, too, but have never done it myself. Too easy to miss pulling out all of the wooden stakes when false forms are removed.

Rotting wood stakes make lousy reinforcement material.