How to slope a brick patio

Old 08-07-16, 12:42 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to slope a brick patio

I'd like to lay a paver patio in my back yard 10x16'. I have watched many videos on the foundation work, but am not quite sure how to slope. Do I dig a level trench about 9" deep and then adjust the slope with more base gravel on one side or does the actual trench itself need to be sloped? Do I string a level line even to the surface across corners and measure down 9" and then 8" after 4 ft...what's the easiest way to slope thanks

Old 08-07-16, 04:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I don't worry too much about slope with the excavation. It's just too hard to control so the bottom of the excavation usually ends up being... whatever. As I build up and compact each successive layer of base I focus more and more on the elevation and slope.

One trick I use for screeding and leveling is to use an extension ladder. Take the ladder apart and you can have a very long straight edge. When establishing a slope or grade I'll set EMT (electrical conduit tubing) or you can use a straight board or pipe. Carefully set a piece of pipe at each side of your patio far enough apart that your screed/ladder section can reach and establish the slope/grade you want. Then use an extension ladder section as a screed between the two.

Old 08-10-16, 12:27 AM
L
Here is a link to the area I'd like to put brick patio down. Is this too much of a slope on the right hand side? Will it require a retaining wall? How should I excavate to do this right? I'd like to lay 16x16" square patio stones that have a cobble design.

https://s9.postimg.org/3qql9wvu7/20160809_182826.jpg

Old 08-10-16, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
You didn't say how much slope there is. It's difficult/impossible for us to measure from your photo. I would shoot for a straight level line where the patio meets the house and slope down and away from the house at 1/4" per foot.

It looks like your grade drops 3-4" from left to right. You'll have to accommodate that somehow with your construction. I would build up and compact more base material on the right to bring it up to the elevation, extending the base layer beyond the edge of your patio so the base does not cave away at the edge. Then when the patio is finished bring in dirt and bring up the grade on the side to hold the base in place and create a gentle and safe slope for walking and mowing.

Old 08-11-16, 01:32 AM
L
It's almost 3" left to right. I was thinking I'd build a retaining wall with capstone around the rectangle. 6" high in total. Then compact and fill the inside and put the 3" thick pavers inside the wall. Would that work?...the wall would be level with cement patio and on same slope ...would that work?

Old 08-11-16, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, capstones are not good for building a retaining wall. There is nothing to hold them in place and over time they pressure behind can push them sideways. Capstones are suitable only for garden edging. If you want to build a retaining wall you need to build a proper retaining wall especially since you will be thoroughly compacting the material on the back side it.

Old 08-12-16, 02:15 AM
L
I don't understand. I see retaining walls quite a bit that surround a paver patio that use capstone. So it wouldn't work to install wall block around the area and then capstone, then build up the base inside the wall block a few inches and set the patio pavers inside?

I was planning on using landscape adhesive on the capstone.

Old 08-12-16, 02:20 AM
L
If not, what exactly should I do?

Old 08-12-16, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Look up the definition of "capstone". Then research precast concrete retaining wall blocks. They are different.

Edging or paver blocks sold in home centers and construction adhesive are not a retaining wall regardless of what they say. They are in the business of saying how easy it is to DIY to sell you stuff. There are companies that produce engineered retaining wall products. I use Keystone but there are others that also work very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: