Removing tiles laid in grey cement

Old 09-01-16, 10:08 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Removing tiles laid in grey cement

Our house has a dome which on the interior is made up of brick. On the exterior the brick is covered with a thin layer of grey cement which is covered with 4 X 4 ceramic tile. The dome leaks. I want to remove some of the tiles where it leaks - perhaps as many as 30 or 40 - and patch the cracks in the cement.

Using a hammer and chisel is very slow going. Is there a good Dremel Multi-Max attachment that might work. I can get replacement tiles so I really don't care if the old tiles break.

Finally - we have been patching the cement with more cement - after expanding the crack. Can anyone recommend a better material - perhaps a siliconized chalk ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-16, 10:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Can you post some pictures?

As far as removal, I'm thinking a breaker hammer.

Old 09-01-16, 10:50 AM
L
Regarding pictures - a google search for 'tile dome' does a good job - of course our dome is much much smaller.

I've used a breaker hammer in the States on the kitchen floor. I need a much more subtle solution for this task. I thought maybe a cutter blade for the dremel which could get under the tile and cut away at the cement holding the tile down.

Old 09-01-16, 12:25 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
A dry diamond blade can be used to cut striations in the tile every inch or so and then you can use a hammer and chisel to pop the pieces off. A demo hammer with a tile bit goes much faster.

Old 09-01-16, 04:31 PM
L
Wow - but I'm a little guy - those demo hammers you suggest are pretty expensive !

Old 09-01-16, 05:18 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Wow - but I'm a little guy - those demo hammers you suggest are pretty expensive !
I'm a little guy also - you asked how to best remove the tile. I Happen to own a demo hammer so its up to you to decide best steps forward.

Old 09-17-16, 04:53 AM
S
you don't have to buy 1 - just rent 1 & try to get a bushing hammer bit,,, we own 'em but we use 'em every week,,, as for sealing the dome, after properly repairing the cracks, we'd use aquafin's 2k/m or similar product

fyi, ANY tool you buy should be the best quality you can afford,,, nothing's worse than buying harbor freight class tools & not realizing they're throwaways,,, just my opinion,,, iow, cheap tools are VERY expensive,,, obviously 1 cannot buy all the tools 1 wants which is kind of like guns,,, but, at least, 1 can rent decent tools