Need Tuck Pointing Tips

Old 09-17-16, 11:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Tuck Pointing Tips

I have some hairline cracks I want to fix in my cinder block foundation before I TSP (clean), and paint the walls.

I have never done this before but would like to take a shot at it. My understanding is I will need an angle grinder to grind out down about an inch? Then shop vac and wirebrush to clean it up a bit? Wet it down and then push mortar in?

What type of mortar should I use? Any other tips on tuck pointing?

Old 09-17-16, 12:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angle grinder will work but will throw off a lot of dust so cover up and wear a good dust mask. There are shrouds available for the angle grinder which will capture the dust and needs to be attached to a vacuum made for this. You can make your own dust capture device from a plastic jug but will need a helper and a shop vac.....special filter for this dust. There is also an angle grinder blade sized for mortar joints....nice to have but not a necessity and a less expansive blade will work. Diamond masonry will go through the mortar like butter. You can also chisel the mortar out by hand with a mortar chisel. Where ever you buy the mortar they will give you the right mix for your job. If mortar is otherwise solid why not just caulk the cracks? Masonry supply house will have the tools you will need to tuck point.....hawk, trowel, pointing tool, etc.

Old 09-17-16, 01:59 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There is no need to go in an inch, 1/2" is more then enough.
Hosing it down when done will get rid of all the dust.
Use a diamond blade.
Buy a masons bag to apply the mortar and a pointed trowel tool that matches the profile you have now.

Old 09-17-16, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
before I TSP (clean), and paint the walls.
Be sure to rinse the TSP well! paint doesn't adhere well to the cleaner's residue.

Old 09-17-16, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Don't forget to get a rounded brick jointer to tool the joints after you tuckpoint them. Don't add too much water to your mortar mix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: