14' x 10' paver patio

Old 09-19-16, 04:25 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14' x 10' paver patio

I'm installing a paver patio in my back yard. For a patio of this size do I need a vibrating plate compactor? If I didn't use a vibrating compactor, what is the process for the final leveling when the pavers are in place? is there a rubber fitting that goes over the hand tamper or do you use a mallet? Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-16, 06:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
You almost always need a plate compactor regardless of the patio size. Very small areas can be done with a hand tamper but most people soon tire from the effort and skimp on compaction. So, I always use a plate compactor and especially in your case 10x14 is too large to compact by hand.

Old 09-19-16, 07:22 AM
What is your definition of "paver"?

I real paver for and interlocking paver is a concrete unit that can be different shapes (brick, zig-zag brick, curved, etc) that has no surface dimension greater than 9". An over-size unit (like 10" x 14") is really just a "stepping stone" that has limited strength and stability. The strength comes from the compacted base under the 1" sand setting and mainly from the sand interlock between units that occurs with the vibration of the surface with a plate vibrator.

Before the final truing up the surface, a small amount of fine sand should be cast over the surface to fill the tightly set joints and allow the plate vibrator to easily move laterally over the surface. If you have a good paver, the minor dust and scuffing can be minimized with the final broom sweeping.

Dick

Old 09-21-16, 08:36 AM
L
Yeah, the bricks are 12x12 and 2 inches thick, so not a true paver. Will plate compactor still work?

Old 09-21-16, 11:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
Yes, you'll need the plate compactor especially for preparing the base layers.