Putting in exterior stone/bricks for deck walk off into yard

Old 10-10-16, 04:27 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting in exterior stone/bricks for deck walk off into yard

Hello.

I want to put some brick/stone in the ground coming off the steps from my deck but I have never done this before. Its about a 4x4 area, not too big really. Just where the steps come off there is a couple half buried creek rocks, uneven ground and weeds jutting up. So I want to put a little nice even step off area that looks nicer.

I have NEVER done this kind of thing before. So Im not sure when I dig out my hole to set them in if I need to line it with plastic, put sand in the bottom if I do put sand in do I use regular or paving sand, do I put the bricks right against eachother or space them? I just havent done something decorative like this before so I need some advice please.

This is what I was considering using for the stones. My girlfriend and I both liked the look best of what we saw.

Pavestone RumbleStone 10.5 in. x 7 in. Cafe Rectangle Concrete Paver-90969 - The Home Depot

Here is a couple pics of the place we intend to put the step off. I put a yellow rectangle up to show roughly the space we want to redo.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-16, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
I would remove the big field rocks that are there now. Then dig down about 6". Put in gravel and compact. Add gravel until it the top of the stones are 2 1/2" below the level where you want the top of your pavers. Then cover the stones with about 1" of sand. Then set your pavers. Install edging around all four sides of your stoop then tamp the pavers so compact and set them firmly in the sand bed. Then brush sand back and forth over the top to fill the gaps between pavers with sand and tamp again to help settle the sand in the gaps.

Old 10-10-16, 05:58 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Like pea gravel?

What kind of sand, regular play sand or paving sand?

What do you mean by set the pavers?