Leveling a concrete patio for tile

Old 10-12-16, 06:22 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leveling a concrete patio for tile

A couple of questions. I have an 8 x 12 concrete patio that I would like to tile over. Here are some questions I have:

1. I don't think it is level because water pools in one corner when it rains. What can be used (short of pouring more concrete) to create a level surface?

2. I'd like to lay some granite or some other stone tile to help raise the patio up above the surrounding ground to prevent water from running onto the patio. Is it possible to use the 12" x 12" x 1" tiles found at outside sections of Lowes or HD for this? Can they just be "glued" down? I assume I would still need to grout it.

Thanks,
Rut

Old 10-13-16, 05:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Some minor differences in elevation can be made up with the thinset. Being in NC you still have to be worried about freeze. Water can get under the tiles and when it freezes it will pop them loose or break the tiles.

Granite could be laid but you would want a flames surface as a smooth polished surface would be extremely slippery. The 1" thick "things" you mentioned are not "tiles". They are concrete pavers or stepping stones. Anything you consider putting down will need to be attached with mortar or thinset. Glue is not an option despite what many home centers say.

Old 10-24-16, 04:15 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
dane makes a good point - exterior tile's NEVER recommended when 1 is in a freeze/thaw location - even here in atl,,, we're presently removing tile from 35 2nd story decks that was laid over wood-framed sunrooms,,, don't ask why - some of the HOA board members thought it looked 'pretty' compared to a traffic coating

down here, the apron stores are now carrying 'cement-all' - a polymer modified cementitious conc topping,,, it works great for leveling conc incl 'birdbaths',,, believe even nc dot has it on their approved materials list now

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: