Building support

Old 12-06-16, 07:50 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building support

I am planning on building a studio apt out of a 45 foot high cube shipping container. I am located in the upstate of SC and the soil type is red clay. The shipping container is speced at 10,600lb empty and a 61,400lb load capacity. The unit is designed to hold the whole weight by the 4 corner posts and the corner posts have a load limit of 190,000lb.

My plan
To take a 8in sonotube 8 feet long and place 6 feet in the ground, leave 2 feet above ground. At the bottom of the sonotube will be a sonotube bigfoot. The tube will be filled with rebar and 3000psi concrete. On the top of the piers will be a half inch steel top plate. The top plate will have welded rebar j hooks and the j hooks will be placed into the wet concrete. The shipping container will then be welded to the top plates. There will be a pier under each corner post and 1 each side on the container mid span.

Does my plan sound reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-16, 08:04 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I'd take that plan to your local building dept. and zoning first and see what they have to say about it

Old 12-06-16, 08:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
8" sonotube sounds like it might not be enough. Regardless, I think Joe gave you the right answer as to what to do next.