Estimates on handy man job seem way to high

Old 12-08-16, 04:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Estimates on handy man job seem way to high

Not sure this is the correct forum, but I need to check

I am getting estimates to have 12 2nd level windows caulked on our home plus reinsert 3-4 anchors into shutters.

One estimate was $300 for reinsert 3-4 Anchors into shutters.
I have reinserted some of these on the 1st level of the house an it takes about 8-10 minutes per

The estimate on caulking the windows is $900.

We live in central MD.

I think $1200 is way out of range for the work.
Another estimate was $560 another was $1,020

The estimator said it would take 6 hrs or more because it takes time to move the ladder.

Any comments?

Old 12-08-16, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You got three estimates. They are all different. Two are close which tells me that's the ballpark price of the job and the other guy is lowballing it.

Get more estimates.

Old 12-08-16, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Pete, one guy lost with his low bid. I don't think $75 per window is out of range, but we don't know if he has to scrape old caulk out, or other aspects of the job. I would need to know the terrain as well. Where I live, main floors can be 20' off the ground due to the mountains. Reasonable movement of the ladder is expected and shouldn't enter into the conversation. It's part of the job. 1/2 hour per window, likewise isn't out of the ordinary.

The anchors on the other hand may be a little much.

Old 12-08-16, 06:45 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
We have evolved into a society that focuses too much on price and not enough on doing the job right. Find the contractor that you can trust to do a good job the right way and pay his price. Removing the old caulking as Chandler suggested takes more time but will last longer. You don't want to deal with poor work at any price.

Bud

Old 12-08-16, 07:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I work in the town where Menard's is headquartered and one of the stories told about the founder, John Menard, is that if he received three bids like this he would go to the guy in the middle and say he wanted to hire him but this other guy came in lower, if only he could match his price....

Old 12-10-16, 07:57 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I would make sure whoever you hired - "handyman" - is insured.

Old 01-05-17, 08:38 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
One added comment/story. One of the towns here in Maine just hit the news because their snow plowing contractor quit right when we were due for a significant storm. No other contractors were available because they already have their contracts. One of the board members pointed out, it was a bad idea to go with the lowest bid. I hope they learned.

I see you are new to the forum so I'll add a welcome.

Bud

Old 01-05-17, 08:47 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Many times contractors will quote a high price rather than outright refuse the work. In my opinion none of the people want the job. Too small and not worth the effort. So why not just say so? Because in the off chance you might bite and it's easy money for them. And they get to say they never refuse a job regardless of size. Besides you may think of them in the future for a bigger job. For the kind of work you want you need to find a neighborhood handyman or a high school kid looking to make some spare money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: