Attaching metal house plaque to brick

Old 02-19-17, 07:38 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Attaching metal house plaque to brick

Will Liquid Nails Landscape Block Adhesive hold a metal house number plaque in place? Or is drilling a hole and installing a plastic or metal anchor the only option that will work?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-17, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
It might, but I would use a product called FuzeIT, also by liquid nails. It works on many different materials and I have had good luck with it. Only issue with adhesives is you would need to secure the plaque in place until the glue dries.

Old 02-19-17, 01:50 PM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
Only issue with adhesives is you would need to secure the plaque in place until the glue dries.
Correct, but block adhesives perform worse in a shear condition, like hanging something vertically vs compression like when landscape blocks are laid flat. Plus moisture will be a factor that will weaken the grip.

A mechanical attachment is fool proof!

Old 02-20-17, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Another thing to consider when using an adhesive is will the plaque be permanently installed? If you ever take it down you'll have trouble removing all the adhesive, screws only need the holes filled. I'd go with mechanical attachment!

Old 02-20-17, 06:20 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Plaque on Brick

Use Tapcons in the mortar joints. If the plaque has pre-drilled holes which do not align with the mortar joints, attach a wood backer board to the brick and the plaque to the backer board.

Old 02-20-17, 06:37 AM
Received 231 Votes on 206 Posts
Agree with mechanical attachment vs adhesive. The only possible problem is if the plaque faces direct afternoon sun light. It can cause temperature change and flexing that might loosen the tapcons or plastic anchors. I like the wood base idea that Wirepuller suggested.

The sun light flex problem was a major problem for me concerning plastic shutters. They kept breaking away from the insert anchors. Got to the point that I just removed the shutter altogether.